Go Down

Topic: Wall Art Motion Light Activation On Off, pointer please? (Read 4475 times) previous topic - next topic

James3D

Hello all,
I am doing an art residency at a fablab. I want to make a wallk sculpture. The sculpture will have 5 or 6 sections that will light up when someone moves there hand about 40 to 50 cm away from it, the section light will switch off a few seconds after the motion. See image-

I haven't used Arduino much, the people working at the lab will help me a bit but not to make the whole Arduino set up myself.

I was wondering, is there an example of how to do this?

I propose each section, will light up and to make it an area light, I will put diffuse paper over the top.

The main problem I want to know is the motion sensor aspect, coding and having seperate panels.

Any help or links really really appreciatted, thanks,
James.

CrossRoads

Look into PIRs
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8630
Can mask off the lens so that it looks a smaller area for detection.
Use 1 per panel, with an output per panel to drive MOSFET and sink current from LED strips.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

RPCoyle

Ultra sonic detectors might work also and allow a narrower focus. Like CrossRoads said, you can mask the sensors to get different ranges . I have used IR sensors behind a thin gauze so that they were not visible, and they still triggered at about 4-6 feet. There are lots of code examples around that work. The wiring is not at all complex.

Pauly

Go Up