Go Down

Topic: [ASK] Help 3-Axis cnc using Arduino Uno r3 (Read 4607 times) previous topic - next topic

thatsnotme

helo.
im totaly newbie in arduino cnc.

I have :
1 arduino uno r3
3 easy stepper driver
3 stepper motor

im using google to find tutorial how to build arduino cnc.
but i still have question.

1. Can I build CNC with arduino uno r3 + easy stepper driver without GRBLShield?

2. If yes!, what software I should use for my CNC?

thank you

Robin2

1. Yes

2. Software you write yourself.

You may find some useful stuff in stepper motor basics and this simple stepper code. And if you want to send data from your PC have a look at serial input basics and this Python-Arduino demo.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

MarkT

[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

thatsnotme

1. Yes

2. Software you write yourself.

You may find some useful stuff in stepper motor basics and this simple stepper code. And if you want to send data from your PC have a look at serial input basics and this Python-Arduino demo.

...R

thank you for relpy

wow that nice if i can build arduino cnc without grbl.

no, i dont have any programing education basic, that's my weakness point. (im learning arduino C for dummies)
but, im trying to understand how the logic work on your basic stepper code.

question again.
how to convert gcode into Arduino C language?

im sorry if my english make you confused. because english is not my primary language.
thank you.

Robin2

Mar 27, 2015, 11:18 am Last Edit: Mar 27, 2015, 11:21 am by Robin2
how to convert gcode into Arduino C language?
That is not what you do.

You need to interpret the GCode to obtain the numbers of steps, and step-speeds for the motors.

is that lib will make cnc work even i dont have grbl?
I think you have your terminology confused. GRBL is a complex program for the Arduino that interprets GCode to produce instructions for stepper motors. I presume what you refer to as a "GRBL shield" is a piece of hardware intended for use with the GRBL software. I also presume that it is possible to use the GRBL software without using the GRBL shield as long as you correctly relate the pins controlling the stepper motors to the software. I have not used GRBL so I don't know how that is done - but I presume there are instructions somewhere.

I had assumed when you asked about not using the GRBL shield that you were also excluding the use of the GRBL software.

For my small lathe I decipher the GCode on my PC and just send simple motor movement data to the Arduino.

...R

MarkT

I assumed question 1 ruled that out ?

...R
GRBL is not specific to any shield, its a fully configurable tiny GCODE interpreter
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Robin2

GRBL is not specific to any shield, its a fully configurable tiny GCODE interpreter
I understand that. I had been assuming the OP had decided to rule out GRBL - but it seems I was wrong.

...R

billcat

Mar 29, 2015, 03:18 am Last Edit: Mar 29, 2015, 03:22 am by billcat
wow that nice if i can build arduino cnc without grbl.....

no, i dont have any programing education basic,..........
because of this, it is my opinion you would be BETTER off to indeed use the GRBL firmware.  You can easily install it on your UNO without the need for the GRBLshield.  Writing code to create your own g-code interpreter is going to be very complicated.

GRBL is SOFTWARE, basically just another "sketch" that you upload to your Arduino, (like BLINK) that allows you to stream G-code(using alternate software, I use Universal Gcode Sender), and then interprets that g-code to control a CNC machine by sending step and direction signals to step motor drivers.  In your case you will be using your Easy Drivers. You simply need to connect the correct pins of the UNO to the corresponding pins of your drivers.

On the other hand, the GRBLshield is a piece of HARDWARE that has built in step motor drivers and allows you to easily control them by plugging into UNO. 

I speak from experience, I have used an Uno to control a CNC machine using my own step drivers as well, but I did install the GRBL firmware because there's no way I am capable of writing my own code for this task.  Later on, I created my own board, similar to the GRBLshield, but instead of being a shield that plugs onto UNO, it basically contains the UNO and shield together combined on one board.  I have been pleased with its operation for the most part.

I will admit I was not able to use the Arduino IDE to flash GRBL to the Uno, I simply could not get it to work.  However, It worked like a charm for me (many times now) using the instructions following the phrase "To flash a grbl hex to an Arduino:"  (in the FOR WINDOWS section) here:
https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Flashing-Grbl-to-an-Arduino

... but to do this you need to search the Github for the precompiled hex file, its there somewhere.  I believe this is it: 
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/grbl/grbl-builds/master/builds/grbl_v0_9g_atmega328p_16mhz_115200.hex

.... or you can try using the IDE, your mileage may vary.  Best of Luck~!

Go Up