Go Down

Topic: BC337 substitution for MPS2222A? (Read 7810 times) previous topic - next topic

dtokez

Hi all, I have a circuit that I would like to build which uses MPS2222A NPN's. Could I use BC337's instead because I have lots of them?

Many thanks

semicolo

Depends on the circuit but the 2 transistors are close enough, it should work most of the time.
The pinout is reversed though.

dtokez

Hi thanks! This is the circuit I want to build using the BC337's

http://www.theledart.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Color-Organ-Triple-Deluxe-schematic-rev3c.pdf

semicolo

I think it will work, try it! You can't break anything with this circuit.

dc42

Yes, the BC337 can substitute for the MPS2222A, in fact in most respects it is better (e.g. it has higher current gain and lower saturation voltage). However, it has the pin connections in the opposite order (i.e. emitter and collector reversed). So if you are putting it into a PCB that was intended to use the MPS2222A, you will need to insert it in the opposite direction to that shown on the silk screen.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Fandaco

Hi, i want to substitute BC337 for the MPS2222A but i have many versions of the BC337 which one i'm going to use ? There are BC337-16, BC337-25, BC337-40, BC337-25 PHI and BC337-25 CDIL, thanks for answer

Anders53

Hi, i want to substitute BC337 for the MPS2222A but i have many versions of the BC337 which one i'm going to use ? There are BC337-16, BC337-25, BC337-40, BC337-25 PHI and BC337-25 CDIL, thanks for answer
Anyone will do.

The dash number refers to the minimum current gain under ceratin test conditions in a factory test, where they classify the transistors.
This makes no sense to the common hobbyist.
The PHI & CDIL refers to various manufacturer names.
They are all the same transistor as long as the basic type is the same, i.e. BC337.

evildave_666

Always mind your data sheets, there are 3 different pinouts in common use for to-92 BJTs.

Go Up