Go Down

Topic: Driving CD Drive motors (Read 4501 times) previous topic - next topic

MagicalOrb

I have taken out my old CD-drive from the old laptop I don't use anymore.
(I wanted to play around with the stepper motor!)

The model is GSA-T50N, Super Multi DVD Rewritter from LG.

I've taken some pics here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4bfd7xwiomzvdlj/AABRrw3vJCMPL5blEOCrMShda?dl=0

So my quick question is,
1) Is this the stepper motor? (One which is on the 3rd picture) I see 4 wires coming out.
I can see the label "260 203990R".

2) What kind of motor is the one on the second picture? Is this the DC motor?
It says MSDS-W024A 1639E1 on the back.

3) How do I control these from Arduino?

Thanks in advance.

MarkT

Apr 03, 2015, 02:45 pm Last Edit: Apr 03, 2015, 02:45 pm by MarkT
Spindle motors are usually 4-wire Y (wye) wound brushless, can be driven unipolar or
from 3 phase bridge.

Your photo site requires a login to access - not a good choice!
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

arssant

1st one: bipolar, 4 wires stepper motor, the one with a long screw. Easy to drive,  a lot of tutorials over google, and basic here: http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Stepper?from=Tutorial.Stepper

the second one: cd spinning motor, is a BLDC motor, again a stepper with 3 wires, you can find a lot of tutorials over google too.

MarkT

Apr 03, 2015, 03:19 pm Last Edit: Apr 03, 2015, 03:20 pm by MarkT
BLDC is not a stepper motor.  Stepper motors are designed to hold position.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

arssant

BLDC is not a stepper motor.  Stepper motors are designed to hold position.
Hi

My bad, I use to say "kind of", as it could be drive as a stepper with 3 wires. Driving with a l293d.

MarkT

Generally steppers are available in 2 phase and 5 phase variants, not 3 phase (not sure
why, no deep reason).

Spindle motors for HD/CDrom/DVDrom drives tend to bring out the centre-tap of the Y,
allows for unipolar drive (again no deep reason, but quite convenient as you can
drive with ULN2803 or similar).  So they are basically unsensored BLDCs which can
be driven from an ESC if you want (although that may be overkill as they are low
current).  The key properties are high quality bearings and smooth/quiet running as
any vibration could interfere with the tracking of an optical or magnetic drive.

Cactusface

Apr 04, 2015, 08:49 pm Last Edit: Apr 04, 2015, 08:51 pm by Cactusface
Your photo site requires a login to access - not a good choice!
Why can't people just upload their images, it's not what you call difficult!!  I can't be doing with trips to Dropbox and Flickr, etc... A waste of time, etc.

I've played around with many steppers, just try it you can't do much arm even if you wire them wrong, OK a dead short might cause a bit of smoke, or your bench PSU to cut out, you are using a good supply, steppers can soak up a few amps....

Regards

Mel.
Open your mind! But not too far, your brains might fall out.
Also like Photography, model building and my 300+ Cacti and Succs.

MagicalOrb

It does not require any login to access the pictures, you just close that dialog box. :( And I can't seem to attach the pictures, it says files are too big (2MB)

Well, how should I cut the wires from the copper wire? Should I just cut through the lines, and solder it with my wires?

arssant

Apr 05, 2015, 05:18 pm Last Edit: Apr 05, 2015, 05:18 pm by arssant
Hi

The 1st one, with the long screw I use to cut the flat cable near the solder points from the stepper. And just use 4 wires from a IDE cable of an hard-drive. Asus cable are fine with tiny cooper wire, easy to solde over the stepper solder points.
The 2 nd one could be done with same IDE cable. Try to remove the varnish from the cooper line and solde there. 3 wires. The other wires use to be hall sensors, and some time a end course switch.

MarkT

It does not require any login to access the pictures, you just close that dialog box. :( And I can't seem to attach the pictures, it says files are too big (2MB)
It doesn't now, but it did.

You need to convert photos to a sensible screen resolution (no more than 800x600)
yourself, before uploading, that is just courtsey...

Cactusface

Apr 05, 2015, 08:17 pm Last Edit: Apr 05, 2015, 08:18 pm by Cactusface
It doesn't now, but it did.

You need to convert photos to a sensible screen resolution (no more than 800x600)
yourself, before uploading, that is just courtsey...
Yes it's silly trying to navigate you way around a whopping great image, in fact most of the time I give up!! Which sadly means I can't always give my best to the enquirer!! There are lots of simple or advanced FREE programs to help with re-sizing, etc. My fav is Faststone viewer, SUPER and free to download and use for ever..

Regards

Mel.
Open your mind! But not too far, your brains might fall out.
Also like Photography, model building and my 300+ Cacti and Succs.

Go Up