Go Down

Topic: many cases of ld.exe crashes. (on windows xp). (Read 28127 times) previous topic - next topic

hieberjohn

I find the version 1.6.7 has this problem using Board: ARDUINO/GENUINO UNO hosted on Win XP SP3.  I find that  by adding global "dummy" unused char variables at the beginning of a sketch the error happen depending on the number added.  I kept adding variable until a clean compile resulted.

For Example: char dum1,dum2,dum3,dum4; compiled ok but char dum1,dum2; cause the "compilation error".

hmjswt

Hallo,

I have 3 computers running 1.6.7.
Only one was giving compile errors.
Replaced ld.exe with the 1.0.5 version.
Now is compiling perfectly.

mcdonald_ajr

This still seems to be a problem.
I installed the IDE 1.6.7 onto my Windows XP laptop yesterday and now have this problem.

Any idea when we might see a new release that fixes this issue?

chicago

I was also getting crashes of LD.EXE on XPSP3, just after upgrading from 1.0.2 to 1.6.7.  

I think I may have discovered a workable solution that stops the crashes and seems to make everything normal again.  And it's nice and simple.  I hope it works for others.

I located the LD.exe that was crashing (using a search)--I had two ld.exe files--one that came with 1.0.2 and one that came with 1.6.7.  I clicked on the offending LD.exe (mine was located in Program Files/Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/avr/bin) and select properties, then compatibility, and check "Run in compatibility mode", select "Windows 98 / Windows ME", and click apply.

For me, doing this instantly stopped the LD.EXE crashing.  I'm not sure exactly why, maybe some smart geeks here can explain the "Why".

The next step is to see if it works for others.

N

Ovey

Works for me!

I've just setup an old PC with Windows XP SP3 and installed the latest Arduino IDE
Standard Arduino Uno programming was fine. Trinket had the ld.exe error.

Followed tip from chicago and all good now.
Many thanks.

xl97

I agree.

@chicago's solution of setting LD.exe to run in Win 98 compatibility mode worked for me we well

* no swapping of ld.exe files
* no code 'tweaking'

wucharinton

I had the same issue both id.exe return error and collect2.exe with IDE 1.6.1 or higher on Windows XP. but it still work fine with IDE 1.5.8 and 1.6.0.

I though the new software has no longer support XP . I then switch to Win 7 32 bits with Arduino IDE 1.6.1 to 1.6.5, problem is gone. I don't want to use IDE 1.6.0 or lower since i used new EEPROM.h with IDE 1.6.5

I have tried to replace 1.6.5 with 1.0.5, it totally was stupidity to solve the problem and wasted time. it was seemly to be okay but  when i have tried to compile complex source code. The problem remains!!!

pert

I don't want to use IDE 1.6.0 or lower since i used new EEPROM.h with IDE 1.6.5
I think it's best to get a more recent version of the Arduino IDE working for you but if you are forced to use the old IDE version you can still use the new EEPROM 2.0 library included with recent versions of the Arduino IDE because it is backwards compatible. Just replace the libraries\EEPROM folder in the old IDE version with the one from Arduino IDE 1.6.5.

andersmmg

I was also getting crashes of LD.EXE on XPSP3, just after upgrading from 1.0.2 to 1.6.7.  

I think I may have discovered a workable solution that stops the crashes and seems to make everything normal again.  And it's nice and simple.  I hope it works for others.

I located the LD.exe that was crashing (using a search)--I had two ld.exe files--one that came with 1.0.2 and one that came with 1.6.7.  I clicked on the offending LD.exe (mine was located in Program Files/Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/avr/bin) and select properties, then compatibility, and check "Run in compatibility mode", select "Windows 98 / Windows ME", and click apply.
Yup! This worked for me great! I had been stressing over it for a while, but of course it's as simple as this to fix.

I'm not sure exactly why, maybe some smart geeks here can explain the "Why".
This method works because the Windows XP OS uses very different standards for executables from ME and 98, so the error would have been in the standards in validation of the code. If you don't understand that, just ignore it. It's not really important.  ;)

namircs

I have a laptop with Win XP and I Update the (IDE) program arduino and trying to compile my sketch began to mark the error:
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 5 exit statusexit status 1Error compilaciĆ³n en tarjeta Arduino/Genuino Uno.

Reviewing forums indicate problems due to the change of technology, because it has the following:
If the sketch is compiled into Win XP   -->  Marks the error.
If the sketch is compiled in Win 8        -->  NO marks the error.

Run the following procedure to correct the problem:

1. I downloaded and installed the latest version of arduino (IDE).
   Rename the file:
   C:\Archivos de programa\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\avr\bin\ld.exe
   As:
   C:\Archivos de programa\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\avr\bin\ld_ORIGINAL.exe

2. I downloaded  1.0.5-r2 arduino IDE   
   (arduino-1.0.5-r2-windows.zip, https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases#previous) 
   And extracts the file:
   arduino-1.0.5-r2-windows.zip\arduino-1.0.5-r2\hardware\tools\avr\avr\bin\ld.exe
   This file is copied as:
   C: \ Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\ avr\bin\ ld.exe

Following this procedure when compiling the error no longer appears.  :)

zoomx

Which IDE? Because it seems that your trick doesn't work with IDE 1.6.10.

hiduino

Which IDE? Because it seems that your trick doesn't work with IDE 1.6.10.

I had to update several locations for IDE 1.6.10 depending on which board type you select.

Code: [Select]
\arduino-1.6.10\hardware\tools\avr\avr\bin
Code: [Select]
\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\4.9.2-atmel3.5.3-arduino2\avr\bin

brice3010

Dec 19, 2016, 08:34 am Last Edit: Dec 19, 2016, 10:45 am by brice3010
I installed Arduino 1.6.12 on a Windows XP machine after succesfull use on W7 (64 and 32bit) and W8.1 (64bit).

Error ld ext status 1 on some of my sketches used succesfully elsewhere.

Downloaded 1.0.3 and copied ld.exe from this folder to the 1.6.12 folder where I had changed ld.exe and ld.bfd.exe to "old" versions.

No succes.

Then I ran 1.0.3 version and updated boards in boards manager.

No succes.

Then I ran 1.6.12 version, updated boards in boards manager.

Bingo!!

I do not know what exactly went on but I think that the ld.exe copy trick is the root of the solution. However, you have to run some board update sessions too before it works (in my case anyway).

Thank you for all the posters showing the way here.

Edit following next post by pert: I made a mistake writing version type: it was not version 1.0.3 that I ran first instance but 1.6.12

pert

Then I ran 1.0.3 version and updated boards in boards manager.
Arduino IDE 1.0.3 doesn't have Boards Manager.

brice3010

Dec 19, 2016, 10:39 am Last Edit: Dec 28, 2016, 11:18 am by brice3010
Arduino IDE 1.0.3 doesn't have Boards Manager.
Strange, I surely ran boards manager. Probably I must not have ran 1.0.3 but the 1.6.12 the first instance.

Edit 28/12/2016: issue still present. Not solved.

Go Up