Go Down

Topic: Does anyone know how to wire up the KY-008 Laser Transmitter Module? (Read 15840 times) previous topic - next topic

Paul__B

Yes, well as I explained before, this module is configured to match the "sensor shield" or model vehicle servo connection standard so if you connect it to such a shield, the 10k ("103") pull-up resistor will simply be providing some sort of "keep-alive" current to the laser diode via the centre "+" pin.  For a laser, this will be nowhere sufficient for it to amplify and  without such "laser-ing"action, it would not be particularly focused either with what little light it generates.

It is a bit of a mystery as to why this resistor was added at all (the "901" - 91 ohm resistor on the back of the laser module itself controls the current), but it will automatically match the standard shields if you use them.

rshinks

I just received my $0.85 KY-008 from a Chinese vendor (with shipping).  I had the same concerns about no directions, very glad to find this thread.  I tested the laser with a PWM routine (fade up / fade down) and it worked fine.  There does appear to be a minimum turn-on intensity, I did not bother to test where it was turning on yet.  I also put a small amount of non-water based glue between the brass body and the circuit board - just the thin little wires holding it on.  Should be much more secure now.

Paul__B

Well, this laser should work with PWM, and indeed should probably function down to a PWM value of 1.  But this is of course, not a "minimum intensity", it is a laser and either on or off at any given moment.  As best I know, the turn-on time in the absence of capacitance should be in the microsecond or sub-microsecond range.

I am not short of lasers by any means, but I will buy a couple of these modules just for giggles.

Note that they appear to be focusable.

Riva

They have gone down in price since I bought a bag of 30 about 14 months ago.
Don't PM me for help as I will ignore it.

Paul__B

Like many things on eBay, the price is very variable!

We are paying an awful lot for the PCB on the Keyes modules; I would not normally do that but I like to have specimens of things we discuss here. :smiley-lol:

Riva

I would not normally do that but I like to have specimens of things we discuss here. :smiley-lol:
Ha-ha, well put. I also have several bags and boxes of specimens that I hope to tinker with in more detail when I have time/retired.
Don't PM me for help as I will ignore it.

Go Up