Domino.IO project is on Kickstarter now

Our Domino.IO project is on Kickstarter now:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/706167548/dominoio-an-open-hardware-wifi-platform-for-things

Different from GL-iNet, Domino.IO is an affordable and advanced WiFi hardware platform for Things.

I had GL-iNet and it is at Openwrt Trunk now. I am in.

i am in, too.

Jesse

sonnyyu:
Our Domino.IO project is

You work on that project ? Nice.
When will the open source hardware schematics available ?

allairgoo:
You work on that project ? Nice.

I directly copy promotion email they send me.

When will the open source hardware schematics available ?

drop a line at website? (Michel Stempin is one of founder and he is active member here)

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=profile;u=141157

The kit can be debricked easily using their JTAG/SPI expansion board when it is bricked accidentally, this design look very nice.

300hp:
The kit can be debricked easily using their JTAG/SPI expansion board when it is bricked accidentally, this design look very nice.

Cool. must needed for uboot development.

Is this going to be cheaper than a Yun - more like a RaspberryPi price?

...R

Robin2:
Is this going to be cheaper than a Yun - more like a RaspberryPi price?

...R

follow the link to kickstarter.

Jesse

jessemonroy650:
follow the link to kickstarter.

That usually means "it will be expensive"

I don't see prices. That usually means "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it"

...R

Robin2:
That usually means "it will be expensive"

I don't see prices. That usually means "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it"

...R

if you scroll, it's
$1 (get a thank you),
$10 (get a board; 82 of 100 left)
$19 (board, ether, USB ; 13 of 100 left)

otherwise read it.

Jesse

jessemonroy650:
if you scroll, it's
$1 (get a thank you),
$10 (get a board; 82 of 100 left)
$19 (board, ether, USB ; 13 of 100 left)

Thanks - I was not looking at the RHS of the page.

As far as I can see you need a QI to match a Yun and they are down as $37 for "early bird" contributors

That is certainly much better than the price of Yun. But I presume it is a discounted price. What will be the long term retail price including delivery?

...R

Robin2:
Thanks - I was not looking at the RHS of the page.

As far as I can see you need a QI to match a Yun and they are down as $37 for "early bird" contributors

That is certainly much better than the price of Yun. But I presume it is a discounted price. What will be the long term retail price including delivery?

...R

Hi, I am Alfie from Domino team. The long-term price including delivery will not exceed $50 for sure. We are working on that.

alzhao:
Hi, I am Alfie from Domino team. The long-term price including delivery will not exceed $50 for sure. We are working on that.

How much is a RaspberryPi?
Why would your device be dearer?

...R

Robin2:
How much is a RaspberryPi?
Why would your device be dearer?

...R

As you said, it is only half price as Arduino Yun, right?

Raspberry Pi is a different board, if you have to compare with RaspberryPi, the Domino Pi basic only $19 now!

alzhao:
Raspberry Pi is a different board, if you have to compare with RaspberryPi, the Domino Pi basic only $19 now!

If, as you seem to imply, a Domino PI basic is exactly equivalent in capability to a RaspberryPI then the QI pricing looks like blatant profiteering taking advantage of the (silly) high price of the Yun.

I know a Yun and a PI are not identical. But they each have features that the other lacks so I don't see, taken overall, why they should not retail at about the same price.

...R

sonnyyu:
I directly copy promotion email they send me.

drop a line at website? (Michel Stempin is one of founder and he is active member here)

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=profile;u=141157

Hi there, Michel Stempin (aka Squonk) here!

Thank you for your support!

Robin2:
If, as you seem to imply, a Domino PI basic is exactly equivalent in capability to a RaspberryPI then the QI pricing looks like blatant profiteering taking advantage of the (silly) high price of the Yun.

I know a Yun and a PI are not identical. But they each have features that the other lacks so I don't see, taken overall, why they should not retail at about the same price.

...R

The Domino Pi basic is the equivalent of a router such as the TP-Link TL-WR703N, based on the same SoC, i.e., it is a 400MHz-class 32-bit MIPS CPU with 64 MB DDR2 RAM and 16 MB SPI Flash, whereas the RPi is >800MHz, > 256MB DDR2 RAM and no Flash except SDCard. But The Domino Pi only consumes 1/2W and has built-in Wi-Fi and up to 3x Ethernet 10/100MB with integrated switch... So these 2 are not equivalent, but fills some overlapping needs.

As for the Qi, it includes an additional ATMega32U4 (list price $3.50 / 1000 pieces), some expensive voltage level translators, plus it requires dual-sided component mounting, which is also more expensive. It happened that we reached 1/2 of the price of the Yun, but that is just a coincidence, it was not a target :slight_smile:

You may rather wonder why the Yun is twice as expensive, given the quantity they are selling :grin:

Squonk42:
You may rather wonder why the Yun is twice as expensive, given the quantity they are selling

You may be sure that is exactly what started my line of questions.

I see no reason for the Yun to be more expensive than a Pi.

...R

Robin2:
You may be sure that is exactly what started my line of questions.

...R

Charity vs. commercial? Volumes?

Robin2:

Why do they charge more for a Yun? Because they CAN!

The cost of the parts, and the cost to manufacture, only sets the minimum selling price at which they can make a profit. Volume and production methods do enter into that formula. But it does not set the actual selling price. That is set by the perceived value to the potential customer, and the selling price is whatever the market will bear.