Go Down

Topic: Sharp Infrared Proximity Sensor to send MIDI messages (Read 581 times) previous topic - next topic

dashmoon

Hello I'm trying to make a midi controller with IR short distance proximity sensor to control sound. (in ableton or traktor).

This video shows exactly what I want to do. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWQhY1StF7o) 

I'm using hairlessMIDI to convert arduino serials to MIDI.  My controller has many push buttons & potentiometers (linear & rotatry) and I got them to work! But I can't figure out how to convert IR sensor readings into MIDI. I thought It would be similar to linear potentiometer..but I'm not getting any MIDI signals from it. I'm very new to arduino and I need help from you guys!

Here is my code. (I'm just trying to figure out IR sensor to MIDI alone for now)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#include <MIDI.h>
MIDI_CREATE_DEFAULT_INSTANCE();

const int analogInPin = A0;  // Analog input pin that the ir-sensor is attached to

int sensorValue = 0;        // value read from the sensor
int outputValue = 0;        // value output to the midi
int outputValue_old = 0;   

const byte channel = 0;

void setup() {
Serial.begin(115200);
}
void loop()
{

// read the analog in value:
  sensorValue = analogRead(analogInPin);
  // map it to the range of the analog out:
  outputValue = map(sensorValue, 0, 1023, 48, 96);
  // change the analog out value:

if (outputValue != outputValue_old)
{
MIDI.sendNoteOff(outputValue_old,0,1); // Stop the old note
MIDI.sendNoteOn(outputValue,127,1); // Send a new Note (pitch , velocity 127, on channel 1)
outputValue_old = outputValue;
}
delay(80); // for staiblity
}

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grumpy_Mike

The code look fine apart from:- YOU HAVE NOT USED CODE TAGS!!!  :smiley-yell:

What values do you see from the sensor if you just write code to print it out?

Have you used a MIDI scope to look at what Hairless is receiving?

Go Up