Go Down

Topic: USB data logging reliability question (Read 945 times) previous topic - next topic

ad2049q

Can anyone say what I'm doing wrong?  I've had the same now with an uno 168, a 328, and more than one 328 based  nano v.3 arduino, each spitting out a line of text to the usb connected linux computer every second or so.

In 2012, a long text line at the terminal beginning stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0
(USB0 is ocassionally something else discovered from ls /dev/ttyU* )
has resulted in the arduino serialPrint text being visible at a terminal from
cat < /dev/ttyUSB0

next, I compiled a c program, lets call it logger, which could work from
./logger < /dev/ttyUSB0

In 2014, the same arduino sketch logger and linux did not work, and cat got non-ascii unrecognisable gibberish even though the line rate defined in my arduino sketch matched that in the stty line.
Starting the arduino ide, the serial text showed ok to the serialmonitor of the ide.
Having this ide on somehow bumped the USB and the c program mostly worked for a couple of days.

I have seen this plenty of times now : arduino to a line of text out of the usb no longer working unless the arduino ide serialmonitor happens to be available and on.  What is the new deal and why the change?

MarkT

Apr 24, 2015, 06:53 pm Last Edit: Apr 24, 2015, 06:53 pm by MarkT
Don't know what's changed, but I find screen is great for setting up a USB serial port
(as well as monitoring it)

Code: [Select]
screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

Remember screen can only be escaped from by ctrl-A K

You can then just pipe from the same tty as screen leaves it configured.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up