Go Down

Topic: Arduino drawings (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

stevenvh

(not sure this is the right forum for this question, but I couldn't find a better one.)

I've seen this question asked on stackexchange, and wondered about this myself too: are there official mechanical drawings of Arduino boards, with board outline, holes and headers positions, connectors positions and required height clearances for shields?

ron_sutherland

Apr 28, 2015, 10:53 am Last Edit: Apr 28, 2015, 10:55 am by ron_sutherland
I think the Eagle files are about as official as your going to find. The board mechanicals can be converted to DXF with a user language program (ulp) in Eagle and that can be used for whatever you want, e.g. I made a Geomagic file with it some time back and hear is a STEP export if that helps.
my projects: https://github.com/epccs

stevenvh

Thanks Ron,
yes, that's the usual response to this question. But it's extremely unprofessional and sloppy not to have a mechanical drawing for your project. Extracting the information from a PCB layout is not the way to do it.
A mechanical drawing should show all required measurements, and not require to measure in the drawing yourself.

PaulS

But it's extremely unprofessional and sloppy not to have a mechanical drawing for your project.
Nonsense. The intent of the Eagle files that are published, in addition to defining the what-goes-where-and-is-connected-to-what stuff, is to drive the machines that cut the boards and drill the holes. Those machines don't need pretty pictures with dimensions.

All the data that YOU want is provided, AT NO COST.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

ron_sutherland

Apr 29, 2015, 10:25 pm Last Edit: Apr 29, 2015, 10:52 pm by ron_sutherland
There is nothing wrong with using the data from Eagle to make solid models like the STEP* file.

* STEP is a 3D solid model, by the way, from it you can print a mockup board or make a dimensioned drawing if that is what you want.

Arduino hardware is open source so it makes little sense to dimension the parts on the board unless you want to lock in a manufacture. It may be that places like Sparkfun should lock in manufactures and tell us how high the parts are on their implementation of the board and also the mating sockets we need to use.

Please point me to your project, I would enjoy seeing just how professional it is.
my projects: https://github.com/epccs

Go Up