Go Down

Topic: What kind of sensor will do the following (something similar to RFID, maybe)? (Read 411 times) previous topic - next topic

SheCurvesMobius

Hi,

I am looking to make multiple independent robots (let's say 5 different robots). We'll call them A, B, C, D, and E.

If any of the robots are within 3 meters of another robot, I want each robot to be able to identify it. So for example, if Robot C is 2.8 meters from Robot E, I want Robot E to know that a robot, and in particular that Robot C (not Robot A, B, or D) is close by.

I want all of them to be able to have the same functionality (I want each of them to be able to know a robot is close by, and which one it is.

I also need for each robot to know where the other robots are. So again, if Robot C comes close to Robot E, I want Robot E to know that Robot C is behind, to the right a little, and 2.8 meters away.

Any thoughts?

I've done some research and the best I can find are infrared and (active and passive) RFIDs, and I don't think that either of them will do what I want to do.

Thanks so much,
Tori

jremington

Questions like this come up all the time on the forum, and the only viable option is an overhead video camera linked to a PC doing simple image analysis. If the robots are colored in a distinctive way, they are easy to identify. It is also easy to measure distances between robots.

SheCurvesMobius

Hmmm. I'm surprised... I would have thought there would be an onboard sensor option.

Thanks so much for your help! I'll look into the camera option.

Go Up