Go Down

Topic: RECENTLY getting ptoblems such as "Arduino IDE won't start" (Read 65135 times) previous topic - next topic

robschaap

Sorry, Pert, appreciate all the help - but I did delete the package_index, and the cache folder as people said on the github issue, which you repeated too. On windows it did nothing to fix the problem. I did this first with Linux last night and it created a different set of Java issues related log4j and the board manager would bomb. The nightly release worked for me on windows just now.

tigger42

Hello all.

So I was using the Arduino IDE, no problems at all. v1.8.12

I opened the serial monitor while uploading a program by mistake.

Then accidentally quit the IDE instead of closing the window.

Now it won't reopen.

I get this

Code: [Select]
Last login: Wed Jun 10 13:53:00 on ttys000
Tiggers-MacBook-Pro-3:~ mjpjohnson$ /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/MacOS/Arduino ; exit;
Set log4j store directory /Users/mjpjohnson/Library/Arduino15
2020-06-10 13:55:39.581 Arduino[1210:91376] name is : .SFNSText
2020-06-10 13:55:39.581 Arduino[1210:91376] family is : .SF NS Text
2020-06-10 13:55:39.582 Arduino[1210:91376] name is : .SFNSText-Bold
2020-06-10 13:55:39.582 Arduino[1210:91376] family is : .SF NS Text
2020-06-10 13:55:39.582 Arduino[1210:91376] name is : Monaco
2020-06-10 13:55:39.582 Arduino[1210:91376] family is : Monaco
java.lang.NullPointerException
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributionsIndexer.parseIndex(ContributionsIndexer.java:134)
at processing.app.BaseNoGui.initPackages(BaseNoGui.java:483)
at processing.app.Base.<init>(Base.java:273)
at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:150)
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

I have tried downloading several different versions to get it to open, no luck

I am running mac os 10.13.3

Any suggestions?

pert

robertemorgan

I moved to 1.8.12 but installation not successful and 1.8.5 will not run.  Probably due to not uninstalling 1.8.5. Ran debug with the following result.  Cannot copy across output from command window.  It reports things are found and report continues to

Loading configuration...
Initialising packages...
java.lang.NullPointerException 
     at cc.adruino.contributions.packages …..
     at processing.app.baseNoGui….
     at processing.app.Base,<init>(Base.java:261)
     at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:144)

end of report

Arduino is not listed as an installed program, according to Windows, when I try to install in from MS it says program is already installed.   So I'm somewhat jammed!

pert

Jun 10, 2020, 03:20 pm Last Edit: Jun 10, 2020, 04:45 pm by pert
There was a problem with Arduino's package_index.json file used for Boards Manager that caused the NullPointerException error and prevented the IDE from starting.

Now the package_index.json file has been fixed, but to recover the Arduino IDE to a working condition you must delete the bad package_index.json from your computer as well as the cache folder, then restart the Arduino IDE as usual.

Windows (regular IDE):

remove file C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Arduino15\package_index.json
remove folder C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Arduino15\cache

Windows (Microsoft Store app):

remove file C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\ArduinoData\package_index.json
remove folder C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\ArduinoData\cache

Mac:

remove file /Users/YourUsername/Library/Arduino15/package_index.json
remove folder /Users/YourUsername/Library/Arduino15/cache

Linux:

remove file /home/YourUsername/.arduino15/package_index.json
remove folder /home/YourUsername/.arduino15/cache

Arduino IDE in portable mode:

remove file {Arduino IDE installation folder}/portable/package_index.json
remove folder {Arduino IDE installation folder}/portable/cache

NOTE: These are in hidden folders. You will need to configure your file browser software to show hidden folders in order to see them.

Please note that the problem that caused the Arduino IDE to break from the bad package index file has already been fixed and will be in the next release of the IDE. That's the reason why the Nightly/Beta Builds are not affected, and also the reason why we did not detect this problem earlier.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused!

donblake

Same problem here.

After removing: C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\ArduinoData\package_index.json, I Arduino 1.18.12 would start.  However, if I used the board manager (even just selecting a different board), package_index.json would be recreated and the start problem returned.

What I did that permanently fixed the problem was to remove hardware\espressif\esp32 from my Sketchbook folder.

Don

Juraj

Same problem here.

After removing: C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\ArduinoData\package_index.json, I Arduino 1.18.12 would start.  However, if I used the board manager (even just selecting a different board), package_index.json would be recreated and the start problem returned.

What I did that permanently fixed the problem was to remove hardware\espressif\esp32 from my Sketchbook folder.

Don
see the instructions in previous comment

jlin_th

donblake

see the instructions in previous comment
I did - I followed these instructions but it only provided a temporary fix.  I apparently had an old package file in my Sketchbook\hardware folder that was also contributing to the problem.

Don

cjcj1949

The fix is to remove the json file and the cache. The magic number is 10345.

thmoe

At days before my Arduino 1.8.9 windows already works well. But now it does not start, only Start screen with info "Package wil be initialized.." and then the program brake down. I have deinstalled the program and download at once and new installed but the same. Delete the librarie folder have no effect.  :smiley-mad:

evertonbudini

I'm having the same problem. I've re-installed several times but IDE doesn't open.

cfinch

hi
I had this problem for 2 days installed new java ,no good
installed re-installed just the same startup screen then nothing then I tried hourly build on Arduino site and hey presto all back
colin

cfinch

hi
this hourly build fixes all bugs ect was going to use portable next or end up with the web editor but this works fine so must have been a little bugger moving around
colin

photoncatcher

Suddenly yesterday evening late the Arduino IDE on my machine would'nt start any more beyopnd the splash screen. Did not sleep much - a bad night

Fortunately I am not alone - Found this post and the Github solution worked in my case

(linux on a bloody fast Intel NUC, Ubuntu 16, 64bit)

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/10345

and the IDE is working again - the only thing I had to do afterwards is reinstalling support for ESP8266 boiards

Go Up