Go Down

Topic: Newer ESP32 boards don't need switching when downloading from Arduino? (Read 57 times) previous topic - next topic

yurkshirelad

Do newer versions of the ESP32 development boards negate the need to short two pins when installing your app from the Arduino editor? I found a board on Amazon (I won't link in case I get marked as SPAM) that says:

It supports automatically download, no need to manual switch between download and run mode.

Is there a particular version of the ESP32 reference board that supports this?

Also, is there anything to look out for when buying an ESP32? I know there are boards from different manufacturers; do they differ greatly in quality?

Thanks

srnet

There are a large number of assembled boards out there that use an ESP32 device and very little standardization on how exactly they arrange for the sketch upload.

Some have a switch\button for upload some dont.
No PMs please, they dont get answered.

yurkshirelad

There are Elegoo starter kits for the Uno R3 and the MEGA2560. Is one board preferable over the other? My understanding is that the Uno is better for a beginner.

Idahowalker

I found that by using a powered USB hub to connect the ESP'32's, pressing the button was no longer required.
1/18/2018, got my first Arduino Uno.

yurkshirelad

Interesting, thanks. That's something I'd not read before - will look into it.

yurkshirelad

Go Up