Go Down

Topic: [Solved]Is optocoupler necessary for relay shield  (Read 2388 times) previous topic - next topic

saifkazi

Jun 05, 2015, 06:47 pm Last Edit: Jun 08, 2015, 06:02 pm by saifkazi

screen shot on windows

Hello Guys

i just made a relay shield for an arduino but was facing weird issue that when i switch the load using relay than my arduino webserver page does not responds while it worked good without load. so was thinking that it was due to absence of optocoupler ?? so guys what do you suggest ?

thank in advance

MAS3

Did you supply the self made shield from the Arduno, or did you connect it to its own supply and connect the GNDs of both supplies ?
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

mart256

And schematic is needed.
What is the load?

saifkazi

Did you supply the self made shield from the Arduno, or did you connect it to its own supply and connect the GNDs of both supplies ?

I supply the shield from external 5v adapter using power jack and connected gnd and power both to arduino

saifkazi

Jun 05, 2015, 09:39 pm Last Edit: Jun 05, 2015, 09:50 pm by saifkazi
And schematic is needed.
What is the load?
The load is 230 v ac
Here is the schematic I soldered 4 relays in same manner as shown in schematic
[img=http://s8.postimg.org/64yzag0k5/unnamed.gif]
upload gambar

mart256

I mean, what is the load, motor, light bulb or what.

larryd

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

MAS3

You made a mistake linking the image.
This is the image:

You also made another mistake,
The schematics tell about a resistor of 10 K (brown black orange).
The photo shows brown black red; 1 K.
Which of those is correct ?

Did you answer to my earlier post, telling that you are powering the Arduino from the shield, or is that not what you meant ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

saifkazi

You made a mistake linking the image.
This is the image:

You also made another mistake,
The schematics tell about a resistor of 10 K (brown black orange).
The photo shows brown black red; 1 K.
Which of those is correct ?

Did you answer to my earlier post, telling that you are powering the Arduino from the shield, or is that not what you meant ?

Ohh sorry actually was not able to find the exact schematics but the resistor one I am using is 1k
And yes I am providing power to relay shield from external supply and gnd connected to arduino

MAS3

Paul__B

Jun 06, 2015, 01:35 am Last Edit: Jun 06, 2015, 01:38 am by Paul__B Reason: Sigh! Always more.
These relay circuits are extremely sensitive to lead length and lead "dress".

Optocouplers are only relevant if the power supply to the relays themselves is completely isolated from the Arduino and its power supply, neither Vcc nor ground being connected from one to the other.

Note also that you must have a supply capacitor (say, 220µF) on the relay board so that the length of connections between that capacitor, the switching transistor and the relay are as short as possible.

saifkazi

What transistors are you using ?
Transistor here I am using is 2n2222

saifkazi

These relay circuits are extremely sensitive to lead length and lead "dress".

Optocouplers are only relevant if the power supply to the relays themselves is completely isolated from the Arduino and its power supply, neither Vcc nor ground being connected from one to the other.

Note also that you must have a supply capacitor (say, 220µF) on the relay board so that the length of connections between that capacitor, the switching transistor and the relay are as short as possible.

So u are saying I must put capacitors in relay circuit but where?

saifkazi

So coming to this problem was thinking that I should leave the relay and must try other device such as triac . what u guys says ? Or is there any device to switch  230v ac ?

saifkazi

If you are having trouble with a relay then an SCR is even more tricky.

Write a simple sketch to test the relays, if that does not work then post your code.
U mean by simple blink program?

Go Up