Go Down

Topic: newbie question about steppers (Read 774 times) previous topic - next topic

eloid

Hello , im very new to arduino anardiniorograming them.  I would like explore small automation stepper experiment with a arduino with my cnc back ground hobby.
i like to get some advice for hardware before buy any hardware.

Brief description of the project. I would Like to build a two axis router table which would have a motorized lift and motorized fence.

The objective/ parameters for the lift would use 300oz /in stepper (5amp)  with ballscrew linear guide rails with upper and lower limits switch . The  lift needs to home itself , calibrate itself to home location, park itself to know height for tool changes. I need the ability to use a touch plate for offset heights and away to increment  tool passes  to final depth , and store these configuration in memory. I would be using a gecko stepper driver controller to drive the stepper. I wold like to use a touch screen LCD  4-5 inch scree n . The second axis would  simular and have a resolutio of 1 thousand of inch accuracy also with same homing and calibration requiments

So my frist question is... which arduino would suit my needs

eloid

Would i need a stepper sheild or can i interface directly into the gecko driver board?  I would prefer  not use a shield.  Would a arduino mega  have enough analog inputs for 4 limit switch and a touch plate and a large touch screen with digital scale( igage) on both axis

ShadowGaming

So my frist question is... which arduino would suit my needs
I'd say any Arduino, even an uno.

you would just need a shield that could control 2 servos via the ICSP headers.

Ive seen many shields that can do this.

also, try a bunch of smaller projects before delving into such a large project.
-Robot builder
Current project: W.A.R.P

Walk Alike Robotic Project

eloid

Technically the project is not diffecult. . Just learn curve for arduino programing and hardware

Isaac96

The "gecko"  stepper driver controller? Could you post a link and pictures?
Do not PM me for help. I will delete immediately.
CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F

Robin2

Jun 07, 2015, 10:06 am Last Edit: Jun 07, 2015, 10:07 am by Robin2
The Gecko drivers can be controlled directly from an Arduino.

I have no idea where @ShadowGaming got the idea that there are servos involved or why a shield or ICSP headers might be needed.

@eloid, unlike many other Threads you seem to know all that is needed about stepper drivers that are compatible with your motors.

If you are new to programming I think the most practical thing is to write a short program to control one of your motors and learn from there. This simple stepper code should work with the Gecko drives - assuming you match the code to your connections.

The LCD screen stuff will probably be the biggest challenge and I suggest you start by using the Serial Monitor as the code for the LCD screen will just be a distraction.

Learn how to use the LCD screen as a separate project.

Have a look at planning and implementing a program.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

MarkT

I would be using a gecko stepper driver controller to drive the stepper.
Anything that can control 3 LEDs can control such a controller - it has opto-isolated
step/direction/enable inputs.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

eloid

Thanks guys, I will try few small scale projects first. Can anyone recommend where to buy arduino hardware from at reasonable prices ( I know there over the net) looking for some who sells them direct ie, I need a touch screen 6x5 inch wide that has a simple interface to arduino .... do I need a shield for the touch screen?

eloid

Jun 08, 2015, 01:25 am Last Edit: Jun 08, 2015, 01:30 am by eloid
The "gecko"  stepper driver controller? Could you post a link and pictures?
as requested link for driver controller from gecko

http://www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive-step-motor-drives/g203v.html

eloid

Jun 09, 2015, 10:23 am Last Edit: Jun 09, 2015, 10:36 am by eloid
I was looking at SainSmart arduino brds...... for my project

SainSmart MEGA 2560 Board for Arduino UNO Mega Nano DUE Robot R3 Duemilanove
vs

SainSmart   UNO R3 ATmega328P Development Board + USB Cable Compatible With Arduino UNO R3 Mega 2560 Nano Robot

Can someone please explain what the above acronyms mean ie due robot R3? and what some of these features are or mean?

Some of the detail specs .... for the above brd

Input voltage - 7-12V
• 54 Digital I/O Pins (14 PWM outputs)
• 16 Analog Inputs
• 256k Flash Memory
• 16Mhz Clock Speed

Robin2

Why not just get a bog-standard Arduino Mega 2560 ?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up