Go Down

Topic: Headlight control (Read 5481 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogmudbones

That is NOT describing what you want the lights to do. That is another confusing attempt to describe what you think the Arduino should do.

If the low beam lights take 10 seconds to come on, how can using the Arduino and a relay or 4 make them come on faster?
The aurduino keeps the low beams on all the time and also keeps them on during the transition from the low beam relay to the high beam relay by keeping the lows on all the time they dont have to warm up.

TomGeorge

Hi,
Are these lights original equipment on your truck, or have you fitted them as after market.

These sort of lights are in Australia only allowed in vehicles equipped to do so, aftermarket fitting is not allowed in vehicles not designed for them.
If you do fit them, then your vehicle has to go through another road worthy check.
I would be ringing my insurer if they are after market fitted, to see if I was still covered.

A lot of people are not aware of what is in the fineprint, you are not insured if your car is unroadworthy.

Tom.... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Ogmudbones

They're aftermarket and in my state there are no road worthyness checks. People drive around here with 8 inch lifts on there trucks with black smoke coming out the tailpipe. As for the insurance aspect of it im covered.

TomGeorge

Hi,

The aurduino keeps the low beams on all the time and also keeps them on during the transition from the low beam relay to the high beam relay by keeping the lows on all the time they dont have to warm up.
Well wire the low beams to the panel switch that turns your lights on, and leave the high beam connected to high beam switch.
But be careful of over heating the lamp and the driver.

I think you want the low beams to stay on after you switch to high beams UNTIL the high beams light up, then  low turns off.
Why do you not have the same problem going from high to low, the lows must have to warm up.
Or does the heat from the high beam keep the low beam area heated.

Tom... :)

Ogmudbones

Hi,
Well wire the low beams to the panel switch that turns your lights on, and leave the high beam connected to high beam switch.
But be careful of over heating the lamp and the driver.

I think you want the low beams to stay on after you switch to high beams UNTIL the high beams light up, then  low turns off.
Why do you not have the same problem going from high to low, the lows must have to warm up.
Or does the heat from the high beam keep the low beam area heated.

Tom... :)
The lowbeams have to stay on the way hid's work is there's a small amount of metal salts on the tube a high voltage pulse vaporizes these salts and turns them into a gas then a 80-90 volt ac signal goes into the lights and keeps them running...when you turn them off the gases recondense and you havw to wait for them to warm back up...obviously not the best thing to have no headlights even for a short period of time

TomGeorge

Hi,
check out these HID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ0w08ZEhjI

TomGeorge

Hi,
What brand of HID are they.
Any link to seller/spec....

Goodnight going to bed, a lot of people say I need my beauty sleep.

Ogmudbones

Hi,
check out these HID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ0w08ZEhjI

Those are for a completly different application i have fixed reflectors and that would do me no good. those types of bulbs are for projector housings. Also diodes between the high and low relays is a terrible idea cuts a bulbs life in half since most deterioration to an hid bulb is during the ignition phase.

Robin2

Jun 10, 2015, 05:01 pm Last Edit: Jun 10, 2015, 05:02 pm by Robin2
I think you want the low beams to stay on after you switch to high beams UNTIL the high beams light up, then  low turns off.
So far this is the only description that makes sense to me. @Ogmudbones, is it correct?

I am assuming the low-beams are not HID lamps and come on instantly.

I think what you want your software to do is detect a switch that says "put the high beams on" and then waits long enough (so they are on) before turning off the low beams.

And it seems to me that would mean intercepting the normal beam control switch rather than allowing it to extinguish the low-beams.

The code could be very simple - something like this

Code: [Select]
if (highBeamSwitch == HIGH) {
    startMillis = millis();
    digitalWrite(highBeamPin, HIGH);
    if (millis() - startMillis >= lowBeamDelayMillis) {
       digitalWrite(lowBeamPin, LOW);
    }
}
else {
   digitalWrite(lowBeamPin, HIGH);
   digitalWrite(highBeamPin, LOW);
}

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

UKHeliBob

If the low beam lights take 10 seconds to come on,
I thought it was the high beams that took 10 seconds to come on leaving the car with no headlights for that period when high beam is activated but as I said earlier I know nothing about HIDs.

in my state there are no road worthyness checks
Madness
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

UKHeliBob

I think what you want your software to do is detect a switch that says "put the high beams on" and then waits long enough (so they are on) before turning off the low beams.
I came to that conclusion too (reply #12) but have had no confirmation.
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

PaulS

I thought it was the high beams that took 10 seconds to come on leaving the car with no headlights for that period when high beam is activated but as I said earlier I know nothing about HIDs.
I got the opposite impression. I got the impression that it look the low beam lights 10 seconds to warm up. When first turning them on, this probably isn't a problem. But, when switching high beams off, because a car is coming, waiting 10 seconds for the low beam lights to warm up is a problem.

However, I don't see the need for an Arduino. Rewire the headlight switch so that it does NOT turn the low beams off. Far simpler wiring, and NOTHING to fail.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

UKHeliBob

My interpretation was that the high beams took 10 seconds to come up to full power, so when switching from low beam to high beam after passing a car coming the other way there was a 10 second gap with little or no headlights.

Waits with bated breath for the OP to explain what is really required......

Ogmudbones

Paul is correct both sets are hid and both sets take 10 seconds to come up to full power so if i can keep my lows on all the time i can deal with the high beams taking time to come up.

Robin2

so if i can keep my lows on all the time i can deal with the high beams taking time to come up.
Then you won't need any Arduino.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up