Go Down

Topic: ArduinoISP not working (Read 6443 times) previous topic - next topic

archieroques

Jun 28, 2015, 12:08 am Last Edit: Jun 28, 2015, 12:13 am by archieroques
I don't really know what's what either anymore!

The Nick Gammon tutorial seems very complicated, and this one which I found was simpler. For the Gammon tutorial, I didn't download anything from the Github, but I just copied and pasted one of the .ino sketches.

I am now trying an Arduino.cc tutorial here: http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/MegaISP . It seems to be working a lot better, but when I try the command:

avrdude -p m328p -P /dev/cu.usbmodem621 -c avrisp -b 19200

I get: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I have installed Crosspack, as recommended in the Arduino tutorial. What has gone wrong?

I think that this one should do exactly what I want it to, in a simpler way than the Nick Gammon one.

UPDATE: I connected the 'heartbeat' LED to pin 9. The heart does indeed beat, but it freezes when I try to send any commands

UPDATE 2: The LED connected to pin 7 (the programmer LED) flashes quickly and briefly when I send the command, but nothing after that. The Pin 8 'error' LED shows nothing.

Peter_n

That Mega-ISP is from 2008. That is very old in Arduino years. Nick Gammon put a lot effort to make a good bootloader programming sketch.

If your Arduino IDE files (the system libraries and so) have been changed, download the newest version. Remove every old version of the Arduino IDE.

Follow the page of Nick Gammon from begin to bottom.
http://www.gammon.com.au/bootloader
Check the link to Github in the "Code" section.
Download the zip file from GitHub and copy the folder "Atmega_Board_Programmer" into your user Arduino folder (where your projects are). Start the Arduino IDE and compile that sketch.
It should compile just fine (27.956 bytes (86%) code and 255 bytes (12%) ram).

If that doesn't work, then perhaps something is wrong with the hardware.

archieroques

I would follow that code, but the tutorial is quite long and complex, and really I'm not sure I understand it. I am now just trying to get it to work with the ISP board I bought.

Moving back to the original point of this question that the ArduinoISP board is not working, I cannot identify which serial port it is plugged into on Mac OSX. I have successfully uploaded 'blink' with it over /dev/cu.usbmodem621 with the Arduino IDE, although nothing comes up in the tools>port menu, except the standard bluetooth stuff.

When I'm trying to use AVRdude in the terminal, it says that it can't find that serial port, and if I give it no value for '-P', it gives me:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "unknown": No such file or directory

How do I find what serial port is being used - is it hidden somewhere? I'm really not a mac person, so I don't know these things.

Thanks

Peter_n

I don't know mac either. The port should show in the tools>port menu.

Go Up