Go Down

Topic: Arduino bricked? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

wiseman

Hey everybody,

I think I bricked my Mega and I'm not sure how to test if it's actually gone for good or if I can actually still use it in some way or another.

USB doesn't work at all (timeout), I tried programming it directly via ICSP with an Arduino as ISP (first bootloader, then Blink) and there are no uploading errors or anything like that - it just doesn't do what it's supposed to do after the upload (-> Blink!)

is there any way to check for sure if the chip is gone for good or what the problem is? I have a little experience with avrdude (doesn't show any errors with the standard commands).

I'd really appreciate some help,
regards,
MB

DrAzzy

Programming it over ISP implies that the chip is mostly working, since the IDE reads out what it wrote to verify.
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

wiseman

Programming it over ISP implies that the chip is mostly working, since the IDE reads out what it wrote to verify.
that's good to know but I still don't know what I could try to get it to do what I want it to do...

dmjlambert

When you uploaded the bootloader using ICSP, did you also upload the blink sketch using ICSP, or did you remove the programmer and upload the blink sketch via regular USB?

Budvar10

You have to upload only the bootloader via ICSP and after this upload via USB should work if there is no other problem.
Arduino clone with ATmega1284P   http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=277260.0

wiseman

When you uploaded the bootloader using ICSP, did you also upload the blink sketch using ICSP, or did you remove the programmer and upload the blink sketch via regular USB?
yep I uploaded the blink sketch with ICSP too just after bootloading (not blinking)

You have to upload only the bootloader via ICSP and after this upload via USB should work if there is no other problem.
I didn't try that yet, I should get to it later today

dmjlambert

If you can upload a sketch without errors using ICSP or using bootloader/serial your mega is fine.  If the blink sketch does not blink the on-board LED you might try uploading a sketch which blinks a different port, like pin 10 for example.  Use an external LED or multimeter to check the port. 

wiseman

If you can upload a sketch without errors using ICSP or using bootloader/serial your mega is fine.  If the blink sketch does not blink the on-board LED you might try uploading a sketch which blinks a different port, like pin 10 for example.  Use an external LED or multimeter to check the port. 
I did try other ports (1-13), none of them worked
I'll check back in a minute, I'll try if USB works after bootloading...

wiseman

ok USB upload still doesn't work after bootloading (timeout after 1min or so)
any other ideas other than get the chip off the board maybe? :)

dmjlambert

Jul 02, 2015, 07:55 pm Last Edit: Jul 02, 2015, 07:56 pm by dmjlambert Reason: Spelling
Programming it with ICSP should be proof pins 50-52 are working, because those are the ICSP pins, right?  Verify that by uploading a sketch which blinks those and test the pin outputs.  

dmjlambert

Also test 5v power and connect to a different PC with a different USB cable.  Connect a separate 5v regulated power to VCC (aka 5v pin). Because you are having trouble with both the 16u2 and 2560 chips at the same time makes me suspect power.

Go Up