Trouble controlling led strip with IRLB8721PBF mosfet

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to rig up a couple of floor lamps with some LED strips. I've been having issues with the mosfets that I thought would work. I'm kind of discouraged at this point.

I bought some IRLB8721PBF, and I was following

which is directly from the adafruit article on how to wire up a LED strip to an arduino.

My problem is, I have the arduino loaded up with the blink sketch. When I try to drive the pin high or low, the LED on the board blinks as you would expect but the light strip just stays about half way lit. I tried plugging the gate directly to ground and directly to 5V too and nothing seems to happen.

When I first plugged it in, the lights were off and it seemed to respond to the very first signal I gave it. After that, it seems like it's just kind of stuck on. I'm wondering if I somehow burnt it.

Is there any help you guys can offer?

Edit: I should probably mention that I'm using an ATX psu for the LEDs, so the +12V comes from that, and the mosfet's pin source is also connected to the ATX's ground.

We need to see what you have actually done not what you are following.
We also need to see your code. Post it using the </> icon as described here:-
How to use this forum

This is what I've got...

I hope this is what you're asking for.

I don't even have code running right now. I was going to basics and seeing if it would respond to 5V and GND at the gate. The switch is just to show that I'm switching between ground and 5V from the arduino to test functionality.

Well, if that is an accurate representation of your circuit, it won't work because there is no common ground. Your Fritzing diagram from earlier had a common ground.

Paul

Thanks for the help guys! I hooked everything up to the PSU and it worked great after I grabbed a new mosfet. Must've fried it somehow with the non-common grounds. Anyways, I finally get to finish my project! yay!

scoterman1:
Must've fried it somehow with the non-common grounds.

No, I don't think so. No common ground would just stop it working, not damage it.

Perhaps you shorted it across the psu or something.