Go Down

Topic: Ground to Components (Read 472 times) previous topic - next topic

cheesepuff

Jul 18, 2015, 12:23 pm Last Edit: Jul 18, 2015, 12:29 pm by cheesepuff Reason: Adding attachments
Every time I connect a component (temperature sensor, DC motor, LED etc.), my Arduino Uno switches itself off. When I disconnect the component from ground, it turns back on. I am connected with a USB cable. (OS: Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 10162) (Board: Arduino Uno)

johnwasser

If you try to draw more than 500 mA from the USB cable the USB power will be disconnected by a self-resetting fuse. I suspect your loads are too high (certainly the DC motor would be a problem there) or you have a short in your wiring between +5V and Ground. 
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1G2qoGwMRXx8az71DVP1E81jShxtbSh5Hp

cheesepuff

I don't really understand what you mean... How can I fix it so it stops shorting?

weedpharma

The USB port has a current limit. If your arduino and motor draw more current than the USB port is able to supply, it trips a reset able fuse.

Give us full details of the motor and anything else you are running from the Arduino. A circuit or photo of how it is connected would also help.

What you will probably need to do is run the motor from another supply, not from the USB.
Weedpharma

Go Up