Need help creating a multi-channel dpdt timer circuit

Okay, this is my first post on this forum and I'm wondering if this project is feasible. I have 5 Linear Actuators that I need to control sequentially. At multiple times during the day, I need to open the first linear actuator and have it stay open for approx. 5 minutes and then close. Once this one is closed, I need the second linear actuator to follow the same operation, open for 5 minutes and then close, and on and on down the line for all 5 of the actuators. This event will be triggered need to be triggered 4 to 5 times during the day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if you have any suggestions on how to do this without an arduino I'd like to hear those as well. Oh, and the linear actuators are 12VDC and just have a positive and negative wiring and internal limit switches once they reach the end of their stroke, which happens to be 2" inches on the ones I'll be using. Thanks!

Have a look at planning and implementing a program including how it uses millis() to manage timing.

However if you want to time things in sync with clock-time over several days you will need a Real Time Clock (RTC) module as millis() is not sufficiently accurate over long times. The general approach to your program will be the same.

Are your actuators just controlled On or Off with a relay? Does the Arduino need to detect the limit switches or does that happen internally to the actuator. Post a link to the actuator datasheet.

...R

Here's the link to the linear actuators that I'm using 2" Linear Actuator

The limit switches are internal so I don't think I'll have access to them, however, once the actuator reaches the end of its stroke and hits the switch, the motor stops running even when voltage is applied, until the terminals are reversed and the actuator retracts.

What is the maximum current draw an actuator? Sure the project is doable.
Cheaply if you current draw is less than 10 amps. Could even use SPDT relays like I'm using on my pond control.

Relay for actuator.pdf (12.3 KB)

Looking at some comparable linear actuators, it looks like the amp draw is 3 amps and 500ma no load current and a stall current of 10 amps. The application I'm using them on is extremely light, less than 5 pounds so it shouldn't produce a lot of amp draw.

I don't see any connection data in the link in Reply #2.

How many wires are there in the cable ?

...R

Using these 8 relay cards could work using two cards and connecting two repays per pin you would only have to use 5 pins for output to the relays. When the pin goes LOW the relays will activate on the normally open side and then the pin goes HIGH common will set to the normally closed set of contacts. I'm finding these for about $8 a card. you would need 2 cards.

Relay card.jpg