Go Down

Topic: what is the right way to supply different types of voltage into a system? (Read 588 times) previous topic - next topic

KobiAflalo

i think about using something like
input of 24V plugged into DC-DC to converter that convert the voltage into 12V
and then from the 12V to use LDO to get 10V

in this way i have 3 different voltage types (24,12,10)

is this the right way or there is some IC that makes all of this?
begginer Board Designer.

weedpharma

If you requires these voltages then that is a reasonable way of doing it.

A full description of your project including likely current at each voltage would make it easier to give a full answer.

Weedpharma

Peter_n

That is the right way. Or use two DC-DC converters that both have input at 24V. But then you would have more ripple at 10V, therefor an LDO for 10V after the DC-DC converter is the best option. But only if you don't need high currents at 10V.
Why do you need 10V ?

KobiAflalo

If you requires these voltages then that is a reasonable way of doing it.

A full description of your project including likely current at each voltage would make it easier to give a full answer.

Weedpharma
right now it's hard to say,
why? what about the current? how can it change something?
begginer Board Designer.

Peter_n

When you need 10V, 2A, a LDO would waste 4W into heat. A good DC-DC converter will be better.
When you need 10V, 100mA, then a LDO is the right choice.

When I look at my project on my table then I see one DC-DC converter, and at least 5 LDO voltage regulators (2 on the Mega board, one on the Ethernet Shield, one on a I2C level shifter, one for my 3.3V I2C Slaves, and even a voltage pump on one Slave board). And that project doesn't even use 12V solenoids or motors.

Go Up