Go Down

Topic: How to make a mini digital LED clock (Read 114 times) previous topic - next topic

Nick4978

I'm new to electronics but have been a computer programmer for many years. I'm interested in learning how to make a small project for a digital clock. I found a display unit from https://usa.banggood.com/RobotDyn-LED-Display-Tube-4-Digit-7-segments-Module-For-Arduino-DIY-p-1128919.html?gmcCountry=US&currency=USD&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgcs&utm_content=zouzou&utm_campaign=pla-usg-ele-pc&ID=228&cur_warehouse=CN

I found a tutorial which demonstrates doing something like this but using a different board from https://123led.wordpress.com/mini-led-clock/

Would it be the same if I just used a different led display?

I'm wondering how I could go about finding what all I would need in order to do this project. Any help or guidance in the right direction would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hutkikz

how I could go about finding what all I would need in order to do this project
All you need is an arduino, a display and a real time clock(RTC) module a breadboard and some jumper wires.

Would it be the same if I just used a different led display?
Most of the code in that tutorial is dealing with the dot matrix display which is much more involved than the code for a 7 segment display. I suggest finding tutorials for the individual components you are going to use. Once you have learned to use each by themselves putting them together to make your clock should be trivial for someone with programing experience.

WattsThat

Feb 11, 2019, 04:55 am Last Edit: Feb 11, 2019, 05:06 am by WattsThat
Building a clock from parts will most likely involve something perhaps you've not thought of:  soldering.

The majority of the small, low cost modules you're thinking about using come without the connection pins soldered in place. You'll need a soldering iron, the proper solder and the necessary skills in order to put the pieces together.

An Arduino Nano, the RTC module and the common TM1637 LED displays will most likely not have the header pins soldered in place, it depends upon the board construction so soldering is in future if you want to build a small clock.
Vacuum tube guy in a solid state world

Go Up