Go Down

Topic: pcDuino - IDE compiles to pcDuino but doesn't run there. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

johnlinden

Whow it took some time to workout how to load it, as the PACKAGE handler had trouble finding the files on the Arduino Website. Have had to do it all manually and probably did something wrong.

The pcArduio IDE works and the Board and Serial Port are both set correctly. I compile the BLINK test program with a change that includes a Serial.prinln("Hello World") before each blink, after initialising Serial.begin(9600).

The result is a blinking LED but, after first compile the Linux Terminal Emulator popped up displaying no text and the Upload Button not indicating a completed compile. On pressing the Upload Button again causes the compile to complete successfully but another Linux Terminal Emulator pops up again with no text. When I fire up IDE Serial Monitor it also doesn't contain any text.

Switching OFF the pcDuino and then switching it on again the LED does not blink, the code hasn't been stored on the pcDuino.

Changing the Print routines to printf("Hello World") causes both the Linux Terminal Emulator screens to print successfully.

This is all confusing and I'm soooo close to throwing this thing in the bin.

What can I do, or what did I do wrong.

Kind regards.

cmiyc

pcDuino has nothing to do with the Arduino project. Except for the 5 common letters they used in their name.

You should probably try their forums for answers.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

dmjlambert

If you are talking about the IDE downloaded from the arduino.cc website, the folks on this forum who use Linux may be able to help you get going.   My knowledge is with using Arduino IDE with CentOS 6, and others use other distributions such as Ubuntu.    Let us know exactly what Linux distribution and version you are using, and what Java version you have, and what you've done so far to try to get it going.  Include what IDE package file you downloaded.   During compile or upload the Linux terminal should not open as far as I know, and I think that is an indication of a problem with the installation.   

cmiyc

Let us know exactly what Linux distribution and version you are using, and what Java version you have,
The original poster never mentioned Linux.

They are working with a pcDuino, which is a .NET-based (implying Windows) microcontroller board.

Except for the "duino" part, that project has nothing to do with Arduino.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

dmjlambert

I did some further research and found pcDuino is an Arduino compatible board which runs Ubuntu and runs Arduino IDE with an additional core for pcDuino.   You can use Arduino IDE running on the pcDuino to create compiled sketches which run on the pcDuino and do all the stuff you would do as if it was an Uno.   Kind of a self-contained Arduino environment where you "upload" the compiled sketch within the PC itself, and the sketches can interact with a full set of I/O pins, digital and analog, UART, PWM, etc. and is compatible with Arduino shields as well.  So in a nutshell it is an Arduino compatible board which can program itself with the Arduino IDE.  Sort of like a Raspberry Pi with an Uno married and all on one board.   It can also compile and send sketches to Arduino boards external to itself, such as to an Uno.  It is interesting.

Go Up