Maze solving robot

Ok, so I am a newish Arduino user but am experienced in Robotics and have decided to start my first major project (I cancelled my other one because it was too hard :stuck_out_tongue: ). I decided to make a maze solving robot, because I have made one before and already know how my software is going to look. The basic overview will be this:

Go forward:

• If sensor detects path (no wall) on the left turn left
  • else if it can drive straight then drive straight,
  • else if it can turn right then turn right.
  • else if it is at a dead end then turn around.

My maze will consist of 900 turns so I need to make the motor be accurate enough to stop at a specific number of rotations or degrees.

I know that the cheap step motors do not have rotation sensors so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what motor/or sensor/whatever I should use to have more control over the rotation of my motors. I will use 3 motor, 2 for the driving and one for the movement of the radar sensor

I know that the cheap step motors do not have rotation sensors

The relevancy of this statement escapes me. The issue is less about knowing how many times a wheel has turned than it is knowing how much of that turning was wasted in slipping.

Unless you have some way of knowing how much the wheel spinning is actually moving the robot, you are wasting your time measuring how much the motor driving the wheel has turned.

Cross-post.
Thread locked.