Go Down

Topic: ATmega328PB with Arduino (Read 17726 times) previous topic - next topic

jopiek

Great that they updated the datasheet! You could also rework an SMD one of course.

crackn

Great that they updated the datasheet! You could also rework an SMD one of course.
Hello, we are trying to do it with an arduino UNO smd. we replaced the mcu with the PB one but it need a lot of changes in software. new chip ID, avrdude needs to be patched, bootloader not working, the arduino files need to be updated to support the new PB registers. there's a lot of work to do.

cheers,

crackn

dmjlambert

trying to do it with an arduino UNO smd. we replaced the mcu with the PB one
I suppose you would have to avoid soldering down MCU pins 3 and 6 so you can use those for input/output.   Did you bend up those legs and solder wires to them directly or something like that?  And since pins 19 and 22 aren't used on the Uno did you do the same thing with those pins?

Where do you order the PB?

crackn

Hi, you dont need to avoid those pins, since i will not use them (3/6 are 2nd i2c and 19/22 are 2nd SPI). the problems are that arduino ide dont know that uno PB has 2 uarts and 5 timers, 2 SPI, 2 i2c... the arvdude need to be configured by hand to support the new chip ID.. even atmel studio needs a patch to work with 328PB.

I received some Engineering samples from a friend that works at Atmel.

cheers,
cRACKn

westfw

it need a lot of changes in software. new chip ID, avrdude needs to be patched, bootloader not working, the arduino files need to be updated to support the new PB registers.
the big problem at the moment is that the compiler doesn't support the 328pb. You need a "snapshot" from Atmel just to support it under Atmel Studio, and the arduino compiler doesn't have those changes yet.

It should be "easy" to use the 328pb AS a 328p.  It should be a lot like using a 328 (non-p) - load up a lying copy of optiboot (ie the standard 328p version), and tell everything else that you have a 328p.  (of course, this doesn't give you access to the new features, which would be "nice.")   I didn't have to make any changes to optiboot to get it working on an Atmel Xplained Mini 328pb eval board, other than setting the speed to 57600 because the mEDBG chip doesn't seem to work at 115200bps.  (although you need mEDBG 1.6+ firmware to get auto-reset, and putting optiboot onto the 328pb currently requires Atmel Studio or some other heroics.)

dmjlambert

I suppose it would be pretty easy to smoke the 328PB if MCU pins 3 and 6 are connected to GND and VCC as in a typical 328P layout and in a sketch you set those data lines as outputs.

pv-tronics

I have made a bunch of development boards for the 328PB. They were designed around the port changes to accommodate the second uart. If anyone is interested, I have built up a few with all components on the boards.

here is a pic link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/22368471@N04/26886993072/in/photostream/

PaoloP

May 15, 2016, 09:15 am Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:16 am by PaoloP
Why use an old layout? duplicate SDA, SCL and IOREF is missing.

Layout of Elektorino Uno R4 in better.  ;)

westfw

Sigh.  I would have like to see the second I2C port get routed to the existing (R3) SCL/SDA pins (and a modifed "wire" library.)   That would free up all the analog pins while allowing simultaneous i2c on existing R3-compatible shields.  (alas, with compatibility problems.)

Go Up