Go Down

Topic: Aquarium Lights Controller, simple and easy. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Andrevergamito

Not quite sure about the use anyone might have for this, but since i found it very difficult to find similar projects, or any hints around, i tought i might share this with anyone.
It is nothing complex, it is an extract from a way more complex code i use to control my aquarium, and it only shows the use of timing to turn on/off my LED'S at scheduled times. I found this to be a lot more comfortable than implementing a new library, also the most common scheduler library only allows for a limited number of scheduler actions and it eats resources very fast. Since i needed it all for the others aquarium functions, this allows me to save on that. I know it is a long and ugly code and i could have called functions or interrupts, but this code is not the full version so it lacks optimization. Hope you all make any use of it, specially people starting to code and looking for a quick way to implement time controlled actions

Code: [Select]
// FAR TOO SIMPLE SCHEDULER 1.0
// andrevergamito, 26/8/2015

#include <Wire.h>               // essential libraries needed for the project IF you intend on using a rtc      and a lcd display
#include <RTClib.h>
#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>
#include <EEPROM.h>

RTC_DS1307 rtc;                 // declare RTC
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27, 20, 4);   // address column and rows of the i2c LCD

bool stat1;     //4 booleans to store in the eeprom the current state of the lighs
bool stat2;
bool stat3;
bool stat4;

#define RELAY1  2    //BLU                //output pins for four relays used to control the lights   
#define RELAY2  3    //VER                   
#define RELAY3  4    //ROS                   
#define RELAY4  5    //BIA

int luce1=0;    //BLU                   //current state of the lights
  int luce2=0;    //VER
  int luce3=0;    //ROS
  int luce4=0;    //BIA

//ORE ACCENSIONE                          // hour and minutes the four schedulers are going to turn on
  int ore1on=10;  //BLU
  int min1on=0;
  int ore2on=10;  //VER
  int min2on=30;
  int ore3on=11;  //ROS
  int min3on=0;
  int ore4on=12;  //BIA
  int min4on=0;

//ORE SPEGNIMENTO

int ore1off=23; //BLU                   // hour and minutes the four schedulers are going to turn off
  int min1off=0;
  int ore2off=22; //VER
  int min2off=30;
  int ore3off=22; //ROS
  int min3off=0;
  int ore4off=18; //BIA
  int min4off=30;

void setup () {

stat1 = EEPROM.read(0);         // pull the eeprom-saved data when turning on to get the lights to the status previus to turning off and than on again the arduino
  stat2 = EEPROM.read(1);
  stat3 = EEPROM.read(2);
  stat4 = EEPROM.read(3);

luce1= stat1;                   // every light now gets the eeprom vallue just fetched
  luce2= stat2;
  luce3= stat3;
  luce4= stat4;

Wire.begin();                   // start i2c communication, turn on screen bachlight and clear the LCD
  lcd.begin();
  lcd.backlight();
  lcd.clear();

pinMode(RELAY1, OUTPUT);       //set the four relays pins as output
  pinMode(RELAY2, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(RELAY3, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(RELAY4, OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(RELAY1,HIGH);      //turn all the light of for now to prevent random switches while code loads
  digitalWrite(RELAY2,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(RELAY3,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(RELAY4,HIGH);

//  rtc.adjust(DateTime(F(__DATE__), F(__TIME__)));         //uncomment to set RTC time as of sketch compiling time BUT then upload code with line blanked out to prevent clock resetting time

}

void loop () {

DateTime now = rtc.now();       //pull RTC data

//ORE
  lcd.setCursor(0,0);
  lcd.print("  :  :      /  /");                            ///////////////////////////     Example 20x4 layout
  lcd.setCursor(0,0);                                    //00:00:00 00/00/0000 /
  lcd.print(now.hour());                                //                             /
  lcd.setCursor(3,0);                                    //BLU  VER  ROS  BIA  /
  lcd.print(now.minute());                             //OFF  ON   OFF  ON    /
  lcd.setCursor(6,0);                                    ///////////////////////////
  lcd.print(now.second());
  lcd.setCursor(10,0);
  lcd.print(now.day());
  lcd.setCursor(13,0);
  lcd.print(now.month());
  lcd.setCursor(16,0);
  lcd.print(now.year());

lcd.setCursor(0,2);
  lcd.print("BLU  VER  ROS  BIA");

//ATTENTION: this is the part of code where is decided what happens when a time is met and where the on/off on the screen is decided

lcd.setCursor(0,3);                         // luce1
  if(luce1 == 0){                             // if luce1 is marked as off (0)
    lcd.print("OFF");                          //print OFF on the LCD
    EEPROM.update(0,0);                   //and write this value on eeprom. i  used update because in this way if previous value == new value no writing occurs saving eeprom cycles but wasting 3.3ms

digitalWrite(RELAY1,HIGH);          //if the light is off the relay is high, that is because if i lose power all light go on and i can manually control them

}
  else{                                          //if luce1 is marked as On (1)
    lcd.print("ON ");                         //print ON on the LCD
    EEPROM.update(0,1);                  //and write this value on eeprom
    digitalWrite(RELAY1,LOW);           //also turn on the light
  }

lcd.setCursor(5,3);           // luce2
  if(luce2 == 0){
    lcd.print("OFF");
    EEPROM.update(1,0);
    digitalWrite(RELAY2,HIGH);
  }
  else{
    lcd.print("ON ");
    EEPROM.update(1,1);
    digitalWrite(RELAY2,LOW);
  }

lcd.setCursor(10,3);           // luce3
  if(luce3 == 0){
    lcd.print("OFF");
    EEPROM.update(2,0);
    digitalWrite(RELAY3,HIGH);
  }
  else{
    lcd.print("ON ");
    EEPROM.update(2,1);
    digitalWrite(RELAY3,LOW);
  }

lcd.setCursor(15,3);           // luce4
  if(luce4 == 0){
    lcd.print("OFF");
    EEPROM.update(3,0);
    digitalWrite(RELAY4,HIGH);
  }
  else{
    lcd.print("ON ");
    EEPROM.update(3,1);
    digitalWrite(RELAY4,LOW);
  }

// IMPORTANT!!! this is the bit of code actually imporant, where time is checked every second and switches are pulled on/off

int hour=now.hour();      //make the hours and minutes int to prevent error with 0 being seen as error
int minute=now.minute();

//turning on sequence

if(hour==ore1on){                 //if hours match turning on time and minutes too, flag luce1 so next cycle magic can happen
    if(minute==min1on) luce1=1;
  }

if(hour==ore2on){
    if(minute==min2on) luce2=1;
  }

if(hour==ore3on){
    if(minute==min3on) luce3=1;
  }

if(hour==ore4on){
    if(minute==min4on) luce4=1;
  }

//turning off sequence
  if(hour==ore1off){
    if(minute==min1off) luce1=0;
  }

if(hour==ore2off){
    if(minute==min2off) luce2=0;
  }

if(hour==ore3off){
    if(minute==min3off) luce3=0;
  }

if(hour==ore4off){
    if(minute==min4off) luce4=0;
  }

delay(900); //this delay keeps the code running almost once a second, to prevent too fast refreshes of the LCD
}

Go Up