Go Down

Topic: Tiny 8-pin connector (Read 2735 times) previous topic - next topic

GilchristT

If you want 6 or 10 pin and budget is no problem, maybe Tag-Connect? http://www.tag-connect.com/catalog
Great pointer, thanks

Paul__B

This is dirty but - if the use is really infrequent, you can even use standard 0.1" header holes, and put header into those holes and apply gentle pressure at an angle with your hand to keep it in contact while you program it.
It does work - because you know what you are doing.  It goes wrong for many who start asking questions here on why their display - or whatever - doesn't work.
but ..

Why do you not do it properly, using pogo pins?

doughboy

This is dirty but - if the use is really infrequent, you can even use standard 0.1" header holes, and put header into those holes and apply gentle pressure at an angle with your hand to keep it in contact while you program it.

This is how I bootload the boards I sell that don't come with pin header attached.
if you are making your own pcb, rather than using "standard" 0.1" header holes, you can use the "locking" header holes like this. The holes are offset a little bit so inserting your pin header will sort of "lock" it in place. it took me a while to figure out what those are for in sparkfun eagle library.

raschemmel

Oct 01, 2015, 06:09 pm Last Edit: Oct 01, 2015, 06:09 pm by raschemmel
=Micro JST 1.25mm 8-Pin Connector with Wire x 10 sets]Micro JST 1.25mm 8-Pin Connector with Wire x 10 sets
Micro JST
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

jboyton

This thread has produced a lot of ideas I wasn't expecting.

Boardburner2

That reminds me, the jst xm/xh are easy to solder and preterminated flying leads are available which gets past the crimping problem.

jboyton

Boardburner2

Oct 01, 2015, 06:56 pm Last Edit: Oct 01, 2015, 07:03 pm by Boardburner2
brain fade i was thinking of these

jst sur

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=246

length 8.6 mm for 8 ways

sorry dont know what happened there

jboyton

Oct 01, 2015, 07:22 pm Last Edit: Oct 01, 2015, 07:23 pm by jboyton
http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=246
Thanks, that actually looks pretty good. The top entry version measures 8.6mm long, a little over 2mm wide and is 2.7mm tall. That's really tiny.

Boardburner2

They also do the crimp type SUH connector but not in 8 ways.
10 ways is just over 10 mm

jboyton

SUH appears to be larger in other dimensions as well. Is there any advantage to it over the SUR type?

It looks like each half of the SUR parts costs about $1. On the plus side I don't believe it requires an expensive crimp tool. "IDC" -- doesn't that mean I can just use a toothpick or something to stuff the wires into the blades?

Boardburner2

Oct 01, 2015, 08:49 pm Last Edit: Oct 02, 2015, 12:13 pm by Boardburner2
As of today a supplier is using a far east sourcing agent to find something unusual for me.
Pm me with your requirements and i will tag it on.

Its worth asking.
I am looking for those types of weeny 3 pin connectors found on board cameras and spectrum radio gear.

I am after tails not shells.
Its for OEM use and do not want to pay retail if possible

Apologies for the edit , it was supposed to be a new post.

jboyton

Current capacity isn't an issue. And one off prices are the norm for me as I'm only a hobbyist.

dannable

Thanks guys (and gals). I've indirectly found what I was looking for - JST SH connectors. As usual it was just knowing what to look for!
Beginners guide to using the Seeedstudio SIM900 GPRS/GSM Shield

Go Up