Go Down

Topic: Multiple shafts rpm measurements (Read 642 times) previous topic - next topic

lonski349

Hey everybody,

I have a project where I have a motor and CVT, I want to log the rpm on both of these shafts with a single arduino along a few other sensors. I know how to get a single RPM with an arduino quite easily but I can not think of how I would be able to do it with two items and have a reasonable "Refresh" rate.
Thanks

MorganS

Well, don't keep your working code a secret. Let us know what you have tried.

Depending on the RPM and the accuracy required, it should not be hard to measure half a dozen at once. It would require the use of interrupts however. That's a fairly advanced topic.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

Robin2

If you only want to monitor RPM on 2 shafts it will be much easier than for 3 or more - assuming you are using an Uno which has 2 external interrupt pins.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

lonski349

Well, don't keep your working code a secret. Let us know what you have tried.
I have not yet started development of my code yet, I have not been able to think of a way to get the calculate the rpm of the two shafts without slowing down the program. One shaft runs quickly all the time, 500-5000 rpm while the other shaft will be about 0-5000. I will take a look at interrupts.

Boardburner2

You could do th rpm measurment with simple hardware.
No time constraints on the processing then

Robin2

I have not yet started development of my code yet, I have not been able to think of a way to get the calculate the rpm of the two shafts without slowing down the program.
I don't believe you can have an opinion about "without slowing down the program" without having some concept of how the code will work - even if you don't have a testable program.

You need to tell us what that concept is, because we can't read your mind.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up