Go Down

Topic: Anyone know where to buy this 10K pot other than Adafruit? (Read 3132 times) previous topic - next topic

OldSteve

Kind of unfair shipping practice to have free (gov't subsidized?) shipping when the rest of the world does not.
I think that's how tariff wars develop.
I've seen import & VAT fees that were as much or more as the completed material I've shipped to the UK and Kenya.
What do those gov't fees add to the process? Nothing. Just a  big leach on commerce.
They aren't the only ones with free shipping. RS Components ships online orders free. element14, (here in Oz at least), have free shipping for orders > $45.
I'm sure that many other businesses do it too.
Please do not PM me for help. I am not a personal consultant.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

Boardburner2

They aren't the only ones with free shipping. RS Components ships online orders free. element14, (here in Oz at least), have free shipping for orders > $45.
I'm sure that many other businesses do it too.
Rs has been free shipping on all orders (any value) here since may

OldSteve

Rs has been free shipping on all orders (any value) here since may
Pretty good, isn't it? And they courier deliver, too, not just standard mail. Extra-fast. I love it. :)
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

Boardburner2

Have you tried it ot yet.- :smiley-twist:  With 20 p worth of resistors  :smiley-twist:

OldSteve

Have you tried it ot yet.- :smiley-twist:  With 20 p worth of resistors  :smiley-twist:
No, not with 20 (AU cents) worth of resistors, but I have bought heaps from them since the free delivery started.
But I go out of my way to make the orders as big as possible. If we order piddling little amounts, they'll soon drop the free delivery. We don't want to screw ourselves. There are enough others wanting to do that. :)

Paul__B

element14, (here in Oz at least), have free shipping for orders > $45.
Hardly "free shipping" - easily covered by their mark-up.

Boardburner2

Oct 20, 2015, 01:21 am Last Edit: Oct 20, 2015, 01:23 am by Boardburner2

Depends what you need.

In the past before may and the £20 min order , i have made orders where the uk did not stock.

A couple of packages arrived seperately from eu stores of a few pence each under separate post.

I was not trying to take the ++++ but thats very impressive service imho.

OldSteve

Not so, in my personal experience. Some things might be high-priced, as with many sellers, but not everything. I choose what I purchase from according to cost, and still often end up buying from element14.
As Boardburner2 says, it depends on what you buy. My last 2 orders from them cost no more than elsewhere and the deliv was free. I came out in front, and got fast courier delivery to boot. Almost as fast as RS.

I can't remember when anything from the US had reasonable shipping charges, yet they're closer than the UK who often charge much less. And look at my example the other day of a delivery quote from a Taiwanese manufacturer - 4 x ultrasonic transducer samples, cost: US$10.00. Delivery: US$38. That was $65.97 total in Australian dollars.

RS and element14 manage free shipping even when they have to import the stock from another country, too. I've had many orders, from RS especially, where the first part of the order arrived within 2 days because it was in the country, then the rest arrived several days later, brought in from overseas, usually GB.

Boardburner2

I can't remember when anything from the US had reasonable shipping charges, yet they're closer than the UK .
Not just the US IME.

Some items ordered from China are getting charged at high rates these days.

Hobby king for one has strange post these days.

Even ordering from the "UK warehouse" via the "UK channel" they offer expensive post.

Tracking indicates they come from various addresses in the UK but the delivery time indicates they are being shipped from china.

Last delivery came from a UK address but i later recieved a 20 bill from fed ex for import duty although i had already (correctly) paid vat.

OldSteve

Last delivery came from a UK address but i later recieved a 20 bill from fed ex for import duty although i had already (correctly) paid vat.
Wow, I wouldn't be at all happy about that. :(

JoeN

I can't remember when anything from the US had reasonable shipping charges, yet they're closer than the UK who often charge much less. And look at my example the other day of a delivery quote from a Taiwanese manufacturer - 4 x ultrasonic transducer samples, cost: US$10.00. Delivery: US$38. That was $65.97 total in Australian dollars.
That may be just the old cheap product/high delivery scam.  They send it via the cheapest method and pocket the rest.  The idea is that some people, for some reason, don't think of the delivery cost when deciding which vendor has the lowest price.  Personally, I only think about price as price delivered.
I will never ask you to do anything that I wouldn't do myself.

OldSteve

That may be just the old cheap product/high delivery scam.  They send it via the cheapest method and pocket the rest.  The idea is that some people, for some reason, don't think of the delivery cost when deciding which vendor has the lowest price.  Personally, I only think about price as price delivered.
Yes, I agree. And I always look only at the 'delivered' price too.

It's their loss, and a silly policy for a manufacturer if they actually want to promote their product. Needless to say, I didn't buy their transducers, and told them exactly what I thought of their delivery cost. 25kHz ultrasonic transducers are hard to find, but definitely not worth paying that much.

I'm developing a 'homing' system for wheeled robots, and may well have bought quite a few of their transducers over time if the delivered cost wasn't so high. Instead, I'm back on the hunt for low-cost 25kHz transducers from elsewhere.
I don't want to use common 40kHz transducers, because they'll interfere with 40kHz ultrasonic ranging modules.

Paul__B

One of my greatest annoyances is that eBay actually has (and defaults to) an option of "Price: Lowest first" not including shipping.

I find that truly offensive.

Not to mention the "This seller has set requirements ..." page when you have made a bid.  If the seller has set any such requirements, and the system demonstrably knows they apply to you, then the item obviously should never be shown to you.

OldSteve

One of my greatest annoyances is that eBay actually has (and defaults to) an option of "Price: Lowest first" not including shipping.
I find that truly offensive.
Mine is worse and defaults to "Best Match". I always have to manually select "Price + postage: lowest first".
(I've tried to change this behaviour, but selecting "Price + postage: lowest first" in 'Advanced' is one time only.)

Not to mention the "This seller has set requirements ..." page when you have made a bid.  If the seller has set any such requirements, and the system demonstrably knows they apply to you, then the item obviously should never be shown to you.
Yep. I've struck a few in my results lately that, upon closer inspection, have said "Seller does not ship to NSW Australia".
Those ones should not come up in my search results, since eBay knows where I am.

Paul__B

Yep. I've struck a few in my results lately that, upon closer inspection, have said "Seller does not ship to NSW Australia".
Those ones should not come up in my search results, since eBay knows where I am.
Well, Australia anyway, not so sure about being picky between states as the cost is the same anyway (isn't it - for Aust Post?).

Actually, the annoying one to me is sellers who only accept payment (generally for auctions, but I would only be doing auctions for "e-goto", "chip_partner", "satisfyelectronics" and their respective doppelgangers) if you have a PayPal account.

Since PayPal - clearly due to their stranglehold on MasterCard and Visa - will actually accept a ridiculously small payment (20 cents?) on my card (fee-free), it is the vendor who is screwed on such deals and it is clear they get a better deal if they (only) accept bulk payments through PayPal who allows many sales to be aggregated.

Go Up