Go Down

Topic: Anyone know where to buy this 10K pot other than Adafruit? (Read 3139 times) previous topic - next topic

OldSteve

Well, Australia anyway, not so sure about being picky between states as the cost is the same anyway (isn't it - for Aust Post?).
Actually, I think it might have said "rural NSW Australia", although I'm not really in a rural area - on the coast in Nowra, <2 hours from Sydney, and yes, the postage is the same. I can't understand why those sellers don't like people here. :(

Actually, the annoying one to me is sellers who only accept payment (generally for auctions, but I would only be doing auctions for "e-goto", "chip_partner", "satisfyelectronics" and their respective doppelgangers) if you have a PayPal account.

Since PayPal - clearly due to their stranglehold on MasterCard and Visa - will actually accept a ridiculously small payment (20 cents?) on my card (fee-free), it is the vendor who is screwed on such deals and it is clear they get a better deal if they (only) accept bulk payments through PayPal who allows many sales to be aggregated.
I haven't struck this one, but you're right. Considering that the seller foots the bill, I'm surprised that many of them sell such small items so cheaply. Things like an SD card reader/writer that I recently bought for $1 with free postage. By the time the ebay fee is subtracted from the $1, the purchase cost is covered, then postage paid, there wouldn't be much margin for profit.
Please do not PM me for help. I am not a personal consultant.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

charliesixpack

MAS3

Quote from: bang_not_that_good
You don't have permission to access...
Link doesn't work (for me).
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

OldSteve

Me neither. I've struck this a few times lately, with links to BangGood:-
Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.banggood.com/Adjustable-Potentiometer-Rotary-Angle-Sensor-Module-For-Arduino-p-957475.html" on this server.
Reference #18.da8ffe3c.1445561297.b99b3d6
Please do not PM me for help. I am not a personal consultant.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

JoeN

That store is disallowing hot links to internal pages, which is really, really stupid.  Some websites do this for images so people don't steal bandwith and use them as an image hosting service, but for a page that is selling a product, that is dumber than dumb.

Anyway, to get around it, go back to that page where you have the error message and then click on your URL textbox and press Enter.  That way the request comes from a blank HTTP referer rather than this site.  It fixes it for me.  This workaround works for most sites unless they require the HTTP referer to be their own site.  There are ways to forge the referer and user agent if you ever feel the need to, example:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/change-referer-button/

P.S.  Nice pot, but not the pot I was looking for.  People already pointed me out to the correct pot that I want and I already ordered 20.
I will never ask you to do anything that I wouldn't do myself.

Paul__B

That store is disallowing hot links to internal pages, which is really, really stupid.  Some websites do this for images so people don't steal bandwith and use them as an image hosting service, but for a page that is selling a product, that is dumber than dumb.
Yep.

+1

Henry_Best

Nice pot, but not the pot I was looking for.  People already pointed me out to the correct pot that I want and I already ordered 20.
That's not a pot, it's a "rotary angle sensor"!   :smiley-mr-green:

JoeN

That's not a pot, it's a "rotary angle sensor"!   :smiley-mr-green:
They can call it whatever they like but it is a pot.

JoeN

I bought some from ultest.  Very decent price, 45 cents each (instead of $1.25 from Adafruit), $3.16 to ship 6500 miles (instead of $9 to ship 700 miles).  Did take about 20 days to get here, though, so keep that in mind.

Paul__B

And in retrospect, I wondered for what he wanted the potentiometers in the first place?  They look like trim-pots, not frequently manipulated.

I realise 10k potentiometers are the common standard for feeding an voltage to an analog pin.  Hopefully not to use as contrast potentiometers for 1602 or 2004 LCD displays, because 10k is the wrong value - it should be a 1k connected from Vo to ground, and not connected to Vcc.

westfw

They look like trim-pots, not frequently manipulated.
It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that a pot that is going to be "frobnicated" on a regular basis (like a radio volume control) needs to have a significantly different construction than a pot that is just tweaked when a circuit is first calibrated.  They didn't cover this in my EE classes...

Paul__B

From your link:
"Stop frobbing that clasp; you'll break it"
The quote - and the word - suspiciously resemble a certain other activity.

:smiley-lol:  :smiley-lol: I imagine you knew that.

SamR

If you are not in a rush...  I buy direct from the source, China.  Try aliexpress.com.  Lots of vendors on the site, some ship free.  I usually price shop for best deal on item from several vendors, place order, then wait a week or three (you can expedite shipping for a horrible price).  If in a hurry, Amazon (or Digikey, Jameco, etc.) and pay 4-10 times more for same item they buy from China and get it in a few days if it is a Prime item.  If not Prime it is usually shipped from a China vendor just like AliExpress.  If it is a US manufactured item usually better to use US vendor.  FYI many US vendors/manufacturers have items made for them in China.
Electrons can neither be created or destroyed, however I can excite them and they excite me.

Go Up