Is It Possible to Disable the Parenthesis Animation in the New Arduino IDE?

Hi

Several days ago I installed the latest Arduino IDE,
and something has changed in the IDE:

Whenever I move the cursor and it's on a parenthesis,
there is an animation on the other side of the parenthesis.

In the older IDE that I had, it was not naimated, just colored.

Is it possible to disable the animation?

The investment in it is nice,
yet the outcome is quite distracting..

Thank you

card5:
Hi

Several days ago I installed the latest Arduino IDE,
and something has changed in the IDE:

In the older IDE that I had, it was not naimated, just colored.

Is it possible to disable the animation?

The investment in it is nice,
yet the outcome is quite distracting..

Thank you

OT

Read A.Cooper "Inmates are running the asylum" - especially the passage on "dancing bear".
I would suggest to have a forum on "wish list" here , but from the unpleasant past experience with IDE "developers" ( inmates) - "what do you expect from volunteers and for free?" - it would be pointless.

PS I am still waiting to get the old ( pre 1.6.5.) "highlight the block of code between parentheses " back as promised few months ago!

card5:

Okay, maybe it's time to give up on Arduino.

odometer:
Okay, maybe it's time to give up on Arduino.

Or revert to the old version of the IDE (1.0.3)

I hope the developers o the IDE see this, and hopefully can add a setting to disable it,
since it's really a distraction

card5:
Or revert to the old version of the IDE (1.0.3)

You don't need to go that far back, it was added with the new editor in 1.6.5 so any version before that doesn't have it.

There were many useful features added with the new editor but not all of them are useful to everyone. The real problem is that these features were not made optional, they were just forced on us.

pert:
You don't need to go that far back, it was added with the new editor in 1.6.5 so any version before that doesn't have it.

Oh, so 1.6.4 will do the job?
OK then I will do it..
Thanks

pert:
There were many useful features added with the new editor but not all of them are useful to everyone. The real problem is that these features were not made optional, they were just forced on us.

The thing is, animations should be carefully used,
it's quite annoying and distracting.

Regarding a setting for it,
it's just a setting to disable it, so in terms of code it is a small addition, not a development of a new feature..

In any case I will download 1.6.4 now

What do you mean by 'animation'?

I'm using V1.6.5, and my brackets don't move around. They just sit there.

card5:

card5:

I don't get that at all when I move/hover the mouse over a bracket.
I get a rectangle on the matching bracket if I 'click' on a bracket, but that's all. Is that what all the fuss is about?

OldSteve:
I get a rectangle on the matching bracket if I 'click' on a bracket, but that's all. Is that what all the fuss is about?

If you are using Arduino IDE 1.6.5 and you watch when that rectangle appears there is a short animation effect. I have no problem with this but there are other features added with the new editor I don't like. Certainly nothing that would make me stop using Arduino. There's always the option of using an external editor.

there are other features added with the new editor

and some taken away such as the ability to highlight a code block by double clicking after an opening or closing brace.

pert:
If you are using Arduino IDE 1.6.5 and you watch when that rectangle appears there is a short animation effect. I have no problem with this but there are other features added with the new editor I don't like. Certainly nothing that would make me stop using Arduino. There's always the option of using an external editor.

No, it definitely wouldn't stop me using it either. It only happens when the bracket is actually 'clicked' on, not when the mouse is moved over it as 'card5' says.
Automatic matching bracket highlighting is handy in a way, especially with the modern trend to put an opening bracket at the end of the line, instead of at the beginning of the next one.

void loop(){
}

instead of

void loop()
{
}

In my opinion, the second method makes code more readable, (it's how I was taught years ago), but the new 'animation' feature helps at least.
(I only just started using Arduino, so haven't used earlier versions.)

OldSteve:
Automatic matching bracket highlighting is handy in a way

It's ok when I'm writing code in a linear fashion but often I'm wrapping existing code in brackets and then I have to fight the automatic system. As I said, these features are useful to some users but need to be made optional. And certainly previously existing features should not have been removed as UKHeliBob pointed out.

pert:
It's ok when I'm writing code in a linear fashion but often I'm wrapping existing code in brackets and then I have to fight the automatic system. As I said, these features are useful to some users but need to be made optional. And certainly previously existing features should not have been removed as UKHeliBob pointed out.

I agree regarding wrapping existing code in brackets. It keeps getting me too, when the closing bracket is automatically appended, (usually just off-screen, too, where it can't be seen). I could do without that 'feature' too, but that's a different problem to the one described in the thread's title.

And being new to the Arduino IDE, I'm not missing the old features. You can't miss what you never had. :smiley:

Oops, I read that as automatic bracket matching. I agree matching bracket highlighting is an essential feature.

OldSteve:
It only happens when the bracket is actually 'clicked' on, not when the mouse is moved over it as 'card5' says.

It seems that OldSteve has a problem in reading comprehension..

Allow me to quote myself: (second time, for him.. so it's the third time it's written here)

card5:

I hope that now, on the third time that he reads this,
he would hopefully understand.

If not, I will emphasize :slight_smile:
I wrote "moving the cursor",
not "moving the mouse cursor".

Hopefully now we all understand it well..

card5:
It seems that OldSteve has a problem in reading comprehension..

Allow me to quote myself: (second time, for him.. so it's the third time it's written here)
I hope that now, on the third time that he reads this,
he would hopefully understand.

If not, I will emphasize :slight_smile:
I wrote "moving the cursor",
not "moving the mouse cursor".

Hopefully now we all understand it well..

No - please explain it again.

You're just talking about matching bracket highlighting. To many of us, that's a good thing, not a bad one.

No I think 3 is enough :wink:

Not a hard mistake to make, and certainly not worthy of your condescending response. And the so-called 'problem' isn't worthy of changing back to an earlier version, either. Many of us like it, as has been mentioned.

Not a hard mistake to make indeed, but you were so sure of yourself you didn't go back to read and verify, before you blame others..

OldSteve:
It only happens when the bracket is actually 'clicked' on, not when the mouse is moved over it as 'card5' says.

I can understand if someone doesn't understand something, it can happen to all of us.
But not understanding and blaming the other side of something that they didn't do? that's way too special..