uno works nano doesnt, avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM3": The se

I am using an arduino nano with windows 8. I am prototyping some simple products and need to use the arduino as the brains of the unit.

using the current software with my uno works perfectly but, when I hook up the nano the upload fails. I get this error message.

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": The semaphore timeout period has expired.

when I go to tools while using the uno, the board registers with its own com port. When I use the nano it only shows com 3 and 4. When I plug the uno in windows recognizes it instantly, it does not recognize the Nano at all. The Nano shows up as an unknown USB device in the Device Manager. I have looked for drivers and messed with all of the settings to no avail.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

Is this an official Nano?

There are 3rd party ones that may need their own drivers and windows run in that "no questioning mode" where it will allow unsigned drivers.

it says arduino nano on it, so its either the real thing or a forgery.

What's the USB interface chip on the bottom say? FTDI FT232 (real) or something else (clone).

FT232RL

Ok, go to FTDI website and get the correct driver then
http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

ill try that thanks

Tried to download executable and manually searching for the driver and a system error message occurs. executable shows :

needs elevation

manual installation shows:

the best driver for this hardware is already installed.

The requested operation requires elevation

Run as admin. Run windows in "allowed unsigned drivers" mode.

Hello, i'am New here 8) .
I have a problem with my uno related to a motor and power shield .When i try to put the code on arduino it says: avrdude: stk500_getsync () atteint 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
What does it mean ? Can you help me please?