Anyone tried to write in Go?

Hello,
wonder if anyone tried to use golang on the platform and if you did , what are your impressions - advantages, disadvantages, limitations.
thank you

Didn't know that golang was on the arduino. My understanding was that the golang boards got infested by non-technical people who imposed a code of conduct that forbade discrimination on the grounds of technical ability, and so development is pretty much dead. Don't know if they used the new github code of conduct, or something based on it. The new github code goes like this:

Diversity statement

Although this list cannot be exhaustive, we explicitly honor diversity in age, gender, gender identity or expression, culture, ethnicity, language, national origin, political beliefs, profession, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and technical ability. We will not tolerate discrimination based on any of the protected characteristics above, including participants with disabilities.

It becomes a volation of the code of conduct to respect the opinion of a programmer who has been working as a programmer for 20 years because that's discrimination based on profession.

It's insane. It can happen anywhere. These people always aim for the mid-level organisational positions in a community. They will identify a place where people are doing something cool, then they will infiltrate and wreck it.

not sure about GO been dead.
Quite on contrary actually - Go 1.5 is released - The Go Programming Language. I'm on their list and there are lot of interesting technical discussions.

As for GO on Arduino - the only project i saw is GOBot.

Respecting knowledge is not discriminating for or against a person. It is only discriminating in favour of working vs non-working technology.

To take your notion to an extreme I should be allowed to design a bridge - perish the thought.

...R

GoLang is not dead - not as long as Docker is a thing.

BTW - While the language is called "Go" - it is typically searched on by the name "GoLang" - simply because "Go" is a common word that will give you many hits you don't care about on Google and elsewhere. Just a little tip.

I develop (on occasion) in GoLang - it was a recent thing I acquired, due to a need at my current employer to interface their API written in PHP to Docker (via Rancher); a co-worker and I learned enough GoLang to get the ball rolling in a week or so; we had the API interface done a couple of weeks later.

Overall - I like it - one thing it does is impose extreme restrictions on you - like, if you declare a variable, but don't use it, the compiler barfs, and tells you about it - you have to remove it, or comment it out, in order for the compiler to finish. That's one among many seeming "restrictions" or "barriers"; it's also a highly statically typed language - so static, that it makes C/C++ look easy.

All of this - at first - made my co-worker and I tear our hair out; it was a fight some days just to get a simple piece of code working - but when you finally did, you could see why you had to do it the way the system wants you to. Still - it irked us for a long while - we were constantly asking "WHY DID THEY DO THIS?!". Over time, though, we got used to it - then something interesting happened...

...because of the way it forces you to do certain things, because of the restrictions and issues it alerts to you on - your code becomes better! Indeed, we found that our code became concise, much more readable, and more stable. We honestly wish we could get our employer to allow us to recode our API in GoLang - but that ain't gunna happen - not any time soon.

Our lives would be much simpler if we could, though.

:smiley: