Go Down

Topic: Is Adruino suitable for controlling continuous servo with requires high torque? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

ddzeko

Hi, i am currently working on a project on cable actuation unit, i need to control the speed and the position of the continuous servo motor (not modified rc-motor). I am wondering if Adruino is compatible with 'industrial' servo motor and which board do you recommend? I have not decided on the specification of the motor to use as i'm still in the research phase of the project. Sorry for the lack of information

Thank you very much for your time, i really appreciated it.

Regards,
ddzeko

Robin2

You need to provide a link to the datasheet for the industrial servo that you have in mind. Without that it is impossible to give advice.

A description and/or diagram of the "cable actuation unit" would also be a good idea.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ddzeko

Hi, thank you very much for your reply. Sorry about the lack of information. I'll get the information needed and post it asap.

Regards,
ddzeko

ddzeko

Hi, i am really sorry about the long delay in getting the required info, the servo motor specification is that of the model C2A. And also i've attached the rough layout of the actuation unit, there will be further modification made on the mechanism. As for now, i need to know if Adruino is suitable for controlling speed and position of the servo motor of that specification and if so which board is recommended.
Thank you very much.

Regards,
ddzeko

Robin2

That servo sheet does not explain how the servo should be controlled. Also an image file is very inconvenient. I suspect the datasheet is in PDF format and probably has several pages.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ddzeko

Hi, sorry about that, i was unable to extract the spec sheet from the pfd file which is over 400 pages so i decided to printscreen that page on the motor specs only. I've extracted and attached the the full spec sheet for the motor below.  Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
ddzeko

Robin2

There are only pages 33 to 46 in that PDF and nothing about how to control the motor.

It looks like you need to use one of the "servopacks" on Page 28.

Maybe (probably) the Arduino needs to feed its signals into a servopack?

Maybe you should be looking at the dataseheet for the servopack that you are using?

...R

ddzeko

Hi, i've attached to servopack section of the pdf, in the servo motor data sheet it shows that the applicable servopacks are model 1R6A and 2R1F. There are some things i need to clarify, is the compatibility of the system with Adruino depending on the motor driver/amplifier and not the servo motor? And if i do not use the applicable servopacks model what do i have to find out about the motor driver/amplifier to know if it is compatible with Adruino?  :smiley-confuse: Thank you!

Regards,
ddzeko

Robin2

Either the document does not have the data I am hoping to see or you have an uncanny knack for avoiding it.

Post the entire document please - or a link to it.

...R

ddzeko

Hi, this is the link, you can get the file by clicking the catalog https://www.yaskawa.com/pycprd/products/sigma5-servo-products/rotary-servo-motors/sgmjv. The file is too large to post here. Thank you!

Regards,
ddzeko

Robin2

The section near the bottom titled "connection to host controller" seems to be the relevant part. I can't easily make sense of it. It refers to proprietary controllers. Maybe a person you knows all about them you could adapt the requirements to fit an Arduino.

I think the short answer to your orginal question is NO
The longer answer is MAYBE

...R

MarkT

Unless you want to roll your own industrial servo controller, you'll need to manufacturers
drive (= motor controller in the industry speak) to match the motor, and the cabling.

Think $1000 or so for both parts new, I fear.

[ or perhaps $300 if cheap and cheerful Chinese technology ]
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Robin2

you'll need to manufacturers drive
Mark, do you know if it is likely that an Arduino could control the manufacturer's drive? (I'm assuming the drive fulfils the same role as a stepper driver).

The datasheet that the OP posted a link to only refers to proprietary control systems.

...R

RudolfAtRTC

Robin2

Go Up