Go Down

Topic: UNTZtrument and (now) non-functional micro (Read 924 times) previous topic - next topic

stormaes

I assembled the untztrument 8x8 kit and I'm using a micro (which I think is almost exactly the same as the Leo). The trellis example worked fine, however as soon as I tried to follow the actual software setup for midi control the amount of conflicting information that I got from different sources was insane.

I followed the guide up until uploading the untztrument code, and now my micro appears as "teensy midi" with no serial communication, unplugging and replugging does nothing to help me reprogram the board.

I had to use the 1.6.5 version of the IDE because teensyduino wouldnt work with 1.0.5 (its also a bit silly to use an ancient version of the IDE), and I needed to drop the TeeOnArdu folder into a folder called AVR in the hardware folder to be able to use the board.

I'm using Windows 10.

What do I do? I'd rather not buy a new Leo, and right now this project feels like I've wasted ~$200AUD and a couple of frustrated nights.

Grumpy_Mike

and now my micro appears as "teensy midi" with no serial communication, unplugging and replugging does nothing to help me reprogram the board.
To reprogram the board hold down the reset button and click the upload button on the IDE.
Keep your eye on the progress of compiling and when it says uploading code release the reset button. The upload should then proceed as normal.
This is needed because the board has no serial port at that stage because it has been reprogrammed to be an USB HID MIDI device.

stormaes

The IDE just hangs on uploading and never finishes.

Sometimes the micro will throb a light 3-5 times, but still not actually do anything.

Can I just reprogram it to a normal serial and start again? How?

Grumpy_Mike

The only way is to do what I said, it seems like you are misunderstanding when to release the reset button. Try leaving it a second before the release.
Upgrade to IDE 1.6.6 and try again.

el_supremo

Specifically which "micro" are you using? I would expect that if it is identified as "teensy midi" then you're using a Teensy, not an Arduino, in which case the reset procedure is different.

Pete
Don't send me technical questions via Private Message.

stormaes

I am not using a teensy.
I'm using an arduino micro with an ATmega32U4.
Ive tried the following:
hold button, press upload, wait until the IDE says uploading (with a bar) and release the reset button.
hold button, press upload, wait until the IDE says uploading and the bar has disappeared and release the reset button.
I switched to a linux computer now.

I just tried programming it again with error messages turned on:

Using Port                    : /dev/ttyS0
         Using Programmer              : avr109
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
         AVR Part                      : ATmega32U4
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : butterfly
         Description     : Atmel AppNote AVR109 Boot Loader

Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

Shouldnt it not be using /dev/ttyS0? Am i meant to have some kind of other program running?

stormaes

Ok, I worked it out!
I noticed that when I got frustrated and mashed the button the green light would flash.
After more experimenting I found that doubletap would make it throb.
I checked my dmesg and a new usb "ACM" device got registered for a short time while it was throbbing.
Tried to upload to that device, while the thing was throbbing.
Success!

So for future micro/teeonardu/teensyduino/untz users:

DOUBLE PRESS the reset button, then check the ports and upload.

Thanks for your help guys/girls.

Go Up