Go Down

Topic: Potentiometer Noise problem? (Read 2923 times) previous topic - next topic

windu34

I am using potentiometers to control servos via the servo "knob" example. The servos seem to "jitter" slightly, yet constantly except at the end points. I believe the potentiometer is "fuzzy" because I read the analog values it sent through the serial monitor and it varied by about 10 when at the same position. Is there a way to code the jitter out or do I need better potentiometers? Thanks!

larryd

You could use the last reading only if it has changed by a certain defined amount.
No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

windu34

You could use the last reading only if it has changed by a certain defined amount.
The potentiometers are in a master arm config that controls a slave robotic arm. The position of the potentiometers will have to be able to be changed constantly and allow for precision adjustment of the servos

septillion

If it's that critical, get better pots...

Otherwise you can average the control over a couple of readings or a running average. The idea above is not bad as well.
Use fricking code tags!!!!
I want x => I would like x, I need help => I would like help, Need fast => Go and pay someone to do the job...

NEW Library to make fading leds a piece of cake
https://github.com/septillion-git/FadeLed

Paul__B

Put a 47 µF capacitor from the potentiometer wiper to ground.

Also check what the servos do when you send a fixed mid-range pulse value from your sketch.

Ho55

The quality of the pots or wiring is not an issue, there will always be some noise, and always some sampling jitter in the ADC. You need to introduce filtering in to the system. Either in hardware by adding a RC filter, or in software for example a dead band.

windu34

If it's that critical, get better pots...

Otherwise you can average the control over a couple of readings or a running average. The idea above is not bad as well.
Can you recommend a brand or site or type?
Thanks

Go Up