Go Down

Topic: Wish-list and ideas (Read 30104 times) previous topic - next topic

jenniferwadella

@ballscrewbob this an appropriate place to discuss Jewelbots boards, as the issue many of us are facing is due to the inability to upload custom boards to the web based Arduino IDE. Our Jewelbots sessions are currently selling out with tons of people interested, and we're trying to do our best to ensure those on all types of laptops can participate.

ballscrewbob

Right now I see at least THREE voices from Jewelbot themselves including yours.

There is a saying that "Too many cooks spoil the broth".
Not sure why most of the jewelbot team need to try speak as a crowd.

And BTW I was NOT the first to suggest an alternative source for discussion.
May I respectfully suggest you pick ONE member to speak on behalf of your team and stick with it.

Just to satisfy my curiosity what Country is this jewelbot primarily based in and targeted towards.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

jenniferwadella

^ Just to clarify I do NOT work for Jewelbots. I run a non-profit organization that helps get more women into tech careers, and we run a program called "Coding & Cupcakes" where we teach girls to code with web development workshops and Jewelbot programming workshops.

sarajo

Right now I see at least THREE voices from Jewelbot themselves including yours.

There is a saying that "Too many cooks spoil the broth".
Not sure why most of the jewelbot team need to try speak as a crowd.

And BTW I was NOT the first to suggest an alternative source for discussion.
May I respectfully suggest you pick ONE member to speak on behalf of your team and stick with it.

Just to satisfy my curiosity what Country is this jewelbot primarily based in and targeted towards.
Hey Bob,

Thanks for your question, right now there have been almost 11,000 Jewelbots shipped to 38 countries! We're all over the world. As far as team members in this thread, the only official Jewelbots employee that has spoken is me! We're super honored to have amazing community members leading their own movements getting more girls coding, and super happy to be supporting them as one of the tools they are using.

sarajo

Please be less suspicious,  I think it is not that odd.

I do not know jewelbot, but this is exactly how new things get momentum.  And apparently jewelbot has allready a group of active users. Maybe that demograpic is or looks small but I recall in 2009 when I started reading this forum there were less than 100 visiters a day (now it are thousands). And Arduino started with a group less than 10. Partly with the goal to educate people and have fun. I see something similar with jewelbot.

Best thing you can do if you want jewelbot embedded into the IDE is to raise an issue and explain your goals in github.com/arduino,
or better make a pull request so it can be integrated without effort. After all it is open source. Be aware that it can (will ?) take plenty of time before reactions come.

Thanks @robtillaart for your support. Much appreciated, glad you gave us the benefit of the doubt.

We do have our boards setup for the Arduino IDE, however, we don't have them on the web editor which is what is stopping students in schools from being able to code their Jewelbots with Chromebooks (though, we're also looking into other solutions). We're petitioning here as that's what we were advised to do, though, if there is a better way to get included in the web create interface we're super down to try that.

Thanks again for your help.

Deanna

Feb 21, 2018, 07:23 pm Last Edit: Feb 21, 2018, 10:15 pm by Deanna
I posted on this forum wish-list to request that the Jewelbots board to be added to the Web editor because I have already evaluated the tool according to the CS curriculum and the existing research on girls in CS and found the Jewelbots to be an appropriate tool for achieving specific curriculum standards and goals.

Nothing nefarious, @ballscrewbob. Just a teacher trying to teach and use a tool that I have determined to be appropriate for specific CS curriculum standards. I teach several different levels of computer science classes on the software development pathway, from true beginners in middle school with no computer science experience to students with at least 3 years of coding experience who are earning advanced placement credit for college. From my 15 years of experience teaching STEM at the middle school and high school level, and my 12 years of curriculum writing experience, I am deeply familiar with the national, state, and local curriculum standards for science and CS.  I am also very familiar with the research in engaging students in STEM, with a focus on the research findings in the last decade on engaging girls in computer science. Based on the curriculum standards, the research findings, and experience, educators such as myself select the appropriate tools for specific curriculum standards, program goals, and student needs.

The Jewelbot and the GEMMA are appropriate for use at different points in the CS curriculum, but they are not interchangeable in their use within the STEM curriculum. 

The GEMMA is an outstanding tool for creating the wearables and other projects, and it requires that the students master skills in addition to coding including wiring and soldering sensors and actuators, and, possibly, as mentioned by @ballscrewbob, sewing, if the product is to be wearable. The GEMMA allows for great creativity to make whatever the students wants for creative projects, which is outstanding, and makes it a good tool for achieving specific curriculum standards. One appropriate potential use for the GEMMA in the CS Principles class curriculum is the "create" project.

Serving a different purpose, the Jewelbot is "ready-to-code-and-wear" wearable that masks that complexity of wiring and soldering sensors and actuators, as a button, Bluetooth, 4 LEDs, and buzzer are already built in.  Also, the student does not have to learn to sew or craft to wear the product of their code, it is already connected to a wrist band.  Therefore, I can use the Jewelbot on Day 1 in a Intro to CS class or club with true novices to dive immediately into the introductory coding principles covered in the curriculum, with no soldering, sewing, or other technical crafting skills required.  On day 1, my students can wear out their coded product after only a 45 minute class, can work on it at home more if they wish, and then will return to class the next day to master the next introductory-level coding principles. The Jewelbot is a tool that I plan to use in my curriculum, among other tools that I am already using, for novice students who are mastering of introductory coding principles in the curriculum.

Again, the key for true novices is high engagement with masked complexity. Jewelbots are appropriate for engaging novice students in mastering curriculum standards in an engaging way which leads to their engaging in more CS projects, including creating projects using Ardino boards that do not mask complexity, including, but not limited to, the GEMMA.  In my previous post, when I discussed the use of the Jewelbots as a "gateway" board, I was thinking of the GEMMA as one of the possible boards.

I posted the request for the Jewelbots board to be added to the Arduino Web Editor because I have determined that Jewelbots is appropriate tool for teaching specific CS principles, achieving specific curriculum standards and program goals in my introductory coding classes and clubs for young novices. I posted this request in this forum because using the the Web Editor would allow educators like me and our students to overcome the normal hurdles we encounter installing software on school-district PCs to which we do not have administrative access. My school district is 1:1 with Chromebooks as well.

I very much appreciate the responsiveness of @sarajo as well as the other educators, Jewelbots users, and members of this forum who have constructively advised ways to work towards getting the Jewelbots board added to the Arduino Web editor so I can use this tool with my students.

Thank you!

falexandru

May I suggest to add a confirmation message to the select board command in the Editor?

For now, the box vanishes just after after hitting OK, so I never know whether the Create picks my selection.

Another suggestion is to include an option to de-activate self detection of the board, thus allowing a full manual selection or to link the selection to the profile of the user and not to the sketch.

Thanks for the web-software! I know is a difficult and long way effort.

scanet

Hi,
for some interested in graphic arduino code generator, I've published a plugin to put in 'tools' directory based on my Blockly@rduino project : https://github.com/technologiescollege/BlocklyArduinoIDEPlugin

Hope this could help.

joebutler10

It would be great to be able to have more persistence in the editor.  It is rather clunky to try to switch between multiple projects at the same time.  IMO it needs a concept of project tabs.  Try scrolling down in a long sketch, then open an example from a library, then try going back to your original sketch.  The sketchbook by default goes to the top sketch, not the one you had open previously.  That makes copying from examples and libraries inconvenient.

smellai

@joebutler10 you are totally right and we already have a task in our list for that, hope it will be solved soon, thanks for your feedback!

lego13

This is the list of stuff I find missing and would really like to see (in the order of importance)
1) Github integration!
2) autocomplete
3) maybe also something like intellisense that shows the function signatures, types of variables.

berndbausch

I know I am not the first one to ask for it: Version control.

The web editor is probably only used by single developers, so that features required for teams can be left out. For example, simplified integration with Github, and commands like creating commits and branches, go ing back to older commits, switching the branch.

cgorton1313

Is there a way to have the Sketchbook tab and the serial monitor tab open at the same time? If not, it would be nice.

ballscrewbob

Not sure what you mean exactly ?

The serial monitor takes the place of the sketch view when in use.

Do you mean a totally seperate tab ?
It would be nice but serial output to the web page with everything else involved could be a pain to implement in a seperate tab.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

mowoodsiii

Bump for version tracking!

Go Up