Go Down

Topic: Can't Update The Firmware On My USBasp Atmega8 Using Arduino (Read 12520 times) previous topic - next topic

bperrybap

Sorry bperrybap, you can tell me everything but not that I'm one who does not care about details, that's because I look at details that i said it didn't work
The picture you posted shows the avrdude commands successfully doing EXACTLY what you asked it to do.
Will the commands that you asked it to do update the flash in your device with the 2011-05-28 f/w release. NO, because you have failed to pay attention to the details.
You clearly are not carefully reading the posts and paying attention to the details, and do not seem to be making an attempt to go off and read about avrdude to understand its commandline options.
Computers are useful tools but are very obedient to a fault in that they only do exactly what you ask them to do even if that is not what you intended/meant.
I suggest that you go back and read peter's #39 post and then go read about command line options for avrdude so you can understand the difference between reading from the flash and writing to the flash.

--- bill

angelosanzeri

Sorry but I don't understand what you are saying.

I read the post #39 tons of time and I pay attention to details, what's the problem? I said it didn't work because PeterVH told "it should now say 1.04", does it say so? No. So what's the big deal about what I said, I know computers, I'm not new to them, the difference is that you seem to not pay attention to what I'm saying.

I'll repeat: I said it didn't work because PeterVH said "it should say 1.04 now", so what do you think?

it should say 1.04--->control--->does it say so?--->no---->it does not work, there's something missing-->I need to know why it does not say 1.04

Why do you act like that, like I don't care or I don't read what you write, I'm not american and I'm not english so I read your post not once, not twice and not even three times but more to understand every single word, so please if you want to teach me something please go ahead and do it, if you are not willing to do so, I don't know what to say but I think that my chain of thought is pretty clear.

I understood what you are saying about the fact that I said to do something to the computer and it did what I asked for but don't you ask yourself why PeterVH said it sould have been in a certain way and it didn't go that way?

PeterVH

Angelo's fw is identical to mine. So we don't need to worry about bricking the blue lc technology ones, we have a backup.

(@Angelo: Thanks)

bperrybap

I read the post #39 tons of time and I pay attention to details, what's the problem? I said it didn't work because PeterVH told "it should now say 1.04", does it say so? No. So what's the big deal about what I said, I know computers, I'm not new to them, the difference is that you seem to not pay attention to what I'm saying.
I am seeing what you are saying and I totally agree with you that your USBasp f/w is not 1.04.
I would not expect it to be 1.04 based on the picture you posted of the avrdude commands you ran.
This is because as I have already said several times you are not paying attention to the details what people are telling you and because of this, you have not updated your device with the 2011-05-28 / 1.04 firmware.

There is a difference between reading the flash and writing its contents to a file and reading a file and writing its contents to the flash.

I have told you several times that the avrdude commands you are running are reading the flash and storing it on top of the hex file provided in the USBasp package. And then you are updating the flash with contents of the hex file which now contains what was originally in the flash.
Yes you are successfully updating the flash on your USPasp device by writing an image from a file to the flash, but it does no good to update the flash with the very same image you just read from the flash.

Go back and look closely at the avrdude output in the picture you posted. Look closely at  the details of the information to see what happened.
You will see that the first avrdude command says it is reading flash memory and writing it to an output file.
You will see that the 2nd avrdude command says it is reading an input file and writing it to flash.
Now pay close attentions to the details of all that information.
You should see the problem and be able to tell why that didn't work.

Peter gave you specific instructions in post #39 on how to update your flash and even called your attention to some specific avrdude options and things to be careful of and to watch out for on those commands.

But you chose not to follow his instructions an instead chose to do your own thing.
Why? I can't say.

I think at this point I'm going to bow out.

--- bill

john1993

angelo, i dont think it makes sense to back up. its just causing lots of trouble and there is probably no reason to do it. just unzip the new file and flash it. why are you doing this anyway?  did you have trouble with the stock usbasp?

edit: ive had a chance to test the image that was downloaded and as expected it works fine and probably no reason to reflash.  new 1mhz chips and 8-16mhz preprogrammed all flash with no problems.  like ive been saying its generally best to ignore that warning and just use the dongles as-is.

Go Up