Go Down

Topic: LCD stops working  (Read 139 times) previous topic - next topic

ruediheimlicher

I have a sketch from the LiquidCrystal_I2C examples, modified to continuously print ASCII characters.. It works well with one display (black on green), but connectig the same equipment to another (white on blue) display, it stops displaying after a few seconds. reloading the sketch does not reset the display. I use different boards and different blue or green displaysgetting the same effect. The blue displays is are cheap ones. I experimented with delays without any success.
Same result with 4Bit-mode and LiquidCrystal lib.
Any ideas whre to search for a solution without trashing the blue displays?

Paul__B

There are many possibilities here, but I think you had best start by citing the weblinks for where you purchased the displays so we have some idea what we are dealing with.

Some photos - taken in full daylight but not sun so the details are visible - would be a jolly good idea as well.  :smiley-lol:

Check out the instructions for posting.

Of course you did solder the I2C backpacks to the displays, didn't you?  :smiley-roll:

Nick_Pyner

Some photos - taken in full daylight but not sun so the details are visible - w
- and showing all the gear  ;D  ;D  ;D

floresta

He mentions "4Bit-mode" which may imply the use of ancient library code.

Don

Paul__B

How do you mean?

All the I2C backpacks - at least the character display ones - only ever use 4-bit mode.  :smiley-roll:

floresta

If I am not mistaken back in the olden days, before the dawn of the current I2C backpacks, the standard LiquidCrystal library worked only in the 8-bit mode. 

There were other variants, all poor in performance in one way or another, that provided for operation in the 4-bit mode.  It is to these libraries that I am referring.

All of this changed around the time of IDE v017 when Lady Ada provided her improved version of the 'official' LiquidCrystal library.

Don

Paul__B

But as I say, the OP referred to I2C - the backpacks.

Go Up