Go Down

Topic: How to know if my arduino uno r3 is completly broken (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

davidbalas25

Hello, I haven't touched my Arduino Uno for a while, now when I plugged it into my computer I noticed it is not being recognized, I tried 3 computer till now(2 windows 7, 1 windows 10), the Arduino is turning lights(L,TX,RX) and when I am pressing the button near the connection nothing happens(I think it is supposed to make the L led flash and if not there is some problem with the ATMega chip). I also have another ATMega chip if it helps fixing the problem. The computers are not making any sound when I connect the Arduino and it is not shown in Device Manager, even as 'unknown device'. Should I already save money for a new Arduino board or this one is fixable?

cmiyc

That's two different problems.

Pushing the button should reset the ATmega328p, which should make the L LED flash briefly.

Not being detected by the PC suggests either the usb to serial chip is bad, or something else is preventing communciation.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

davidbalas25

That's two different problems.

Pushing the button should reset the ATmega328p, which should make the L LED flash briefly.

Not being detected by the PC suggests either the usb to serial chip is bad, or something else is preventing communciation.
How can I identify the problem and fix it?

Budvar10

Dec 28, 2015, 08:53 am Last Edit: Dec 28, 2015, 08:54 am by Budvar10
As James wrote, it looks like two different problems. It could be caused by completely missing SW in chips. Is the UNO original or clone? First of all you have to have installed appropriate driver in OS for UNO to be recognizable in device manager and also there is ATmega16U2 chip for USB/serial (original Arduino UNO R3 board) and it must have FW loaded. China clones uses mostly CH340 USB/serial chip which is hard coded, no FW is needed but there is different driver.
The second symptom - not flashing L after reset, it can be caused by missing bootloader in ATmega328P. Has the second chip you've tried the bootloader or not? The bootloder can be loaded, but the programmer or second working Arduino is needed.
Arduino clone with ATmega1284P   http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=277260.0

Go Up