Go Down

Topic: 8x8x8 cube using msgeq7 chip  (Read 839 times) previous topic - next topic

wrongway-feldmen

I cant seem to find a way to build this using the msgeq7 chip and output to 585 shift registers if there is a way to do this can some one help and some code to run it and some basic help to get me started I am new to this but have bin in electronics for years and played with the arduino doing some basic stuff but would like to build one of these to put under my robotic head I built that runs a arduino uno also with a 16 channel controller board project I am doing to read to sick kids in hospital with the head moving and a 8x8x8 LED cube flashing to the sound of what the head is reading at the same time Thank You for any help with this

boolrules

What is "this"?
You would not use this chip to listen to voice unless the goal is to distort the sound.
This has an analog output (in the general case). You would not feed it into a digital device.
Look at this.

wrongway-feldmen

What is "this"?
You would not use this chip to listen to voice unless the goal is to distort the sound.
This has an analog output (in the general case). You would not feed it into a digital device.
Look at this.
I did read that and that is what I want to do as it will have music and voice over and sounds and this is the chip I see used on you tube to make the 8x8x8 RGB LED cubes this is how it is activated to make the LEDs react act to the sound and not just a programmed input such as a arduino program you would run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO8LM893oGw
this is one of some that I have seen and thats why I would like to try this but not sure how

boolrules

Don't see a lot of hardware info there. I'm sure he covers that chip in one of his posts.

I would guess you want this chip to help determine brightness/color of 1/8 of your cube
I could see using one analog input reading a filter output, doing whatever calcs you require,
drive the LEDs through PWM, step to next filter and repeat. Is that the idea?

wrongway-feldmen

Don't see a lot of hardware info there. I'm sure he covers that chip in one of his posts.

I would guess you want this chip to help determine brightness/color of 1/8 of your cube
I could see using one analog input reading a filter output, doing whatever calcs you require,
drive the LEDs through PWM, step to next filter and repeat. Is that the idea?

yes as a new guy on the block trying to learn some of how to do this stuff I would like to try my hand at building one for my self

boolrules

I'd start off by building a simple 4x4 array of leds. While that can be handled by a single
UNO, I'd use shift registers as if you had an 8x8x8 cube already. That way, you can learn the
basics involved there.   

Separately, I'd play with the filter chip. You ideally would need a function generator to
help you understand how that chip responds to different tones. Lacking a function generator,
there are vinyl disks available that just have tones recorded, and there are web sites that
let you play specific tones.

If you listened to Kevin Darrah's post he says his cube took a year to develop.So be prepared
to spend time learning.

Looks like there may be good basic material here

Go Up