Go Down

Topic: ATTINY84A-PU not blinking! Programmed via UNO (Read 2371 times) previous topic - next topic

OldSteve

Im using arduino.cc version 1.6.7. I don't think you can program attiny chips out of the box. im not sure but I got the additional boards from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/damellis/attiny/ide-1.6.x-boards-manager/package_damellis_attiny_index.json.
No, usually you need to add cores, but not having used V1.6.7, I thought maybe they'd been added to the standard installation.

David Mellis wrote your ATtiny cores. He usually goes anti-clockwise in his mappings, but in the case of the tiny84, he went clockwise.

The cores I'm using were mapped anti-clockwise, so they're effectively opposite. I'm not sure which is truly correct, but at this point that doesn't matter, I suppose.

Bloody annoying, and as I say, bound to lead to lots of confusion when programs don't perform as expected.

Thanks for helping me to sort this out in my head, anyway. I'll keep it in mind if and when I help someone else out with the tiny84.

(I decided to use DrAzzy's cores because they have a wider range of options for oscillator, BOD and support for more of the tiny boards.)
Please do not PM me for help. I am not a personal consultant.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

2n3904

OldSteve, your welcome! I just got my arduino uno a few days ago and just started learning. 

OldSteve

Jan 20, 2016, 05:23 pm Last Edit: Jan 20, 2016, 05:30 pm by OldSteve
OldSteve, your welcome! I just got my arduino uno a few days ago and just started learning.  
I've had mine a lot longer, but am still learning too. :D

And the plot thickens. A bit of research shows that David Mellis wrote both sets of pin mappings. The mappings in DrAzzy's cores were written by David in 2007, and are in the anti-clockwise direction. I wonder what made him rewrite them the other way around?

At least I now know who to blame for the confusion. :)

Edit: Your cores were written by David in 2005, then modified in 2009, apparently by David and two others.

All finished now. :D
Please do not PM me for help. I am not a personal consultant.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

Go Up