Go Down

Topic: Programming arduino straight from fdd. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Soldierbk

Hey!

I was wondering if its possible to program arduino straight from an fdd (There i mean usb fdd of course) without a computer.

Ex.: I insert an diskiette (with a binary, .txt, .ino or [any needed format] file in it) into a floppy drive and i turn on the whole device, then Arduino is being programmed with the file contained by the  floppy disk file.

Any suggestions?

Im not an advanced programmer, but i can do almost anything with hardware.

I accept any ideas, cost does not matters. (I can use second duino if its needed)

At last sorry for my english.

knut_ny

Feb 23, 2017, 10:10 pm Last Edit: Feb 23, 2017, 10:10 pm by knut_ny
An .ino file (contains C++) can be read/compiled/uploaded via the IDE
A precompiled file (.HEX) also need a programmer program on your computer

Ny

Whandall

Feb 23, 2017, 11:15 pm Last Edit: Feb 23, 2017, 11:16 pm by Whandall
What device will operate the floppy drive?

A solution with sd-cards is a little less ancient...

Something like the Standalone Programmer
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. (D.Adams)

Soldierbk

Well, standalone programmer seems to be a solution, but still sd is not fdd :D

I remind that this is usb fdd so its acting almost like a pendrive. (For the computer of course)

Also if the usb option is impossible i got plenty of usual fdds :P

Ps.: dont hate me for that but sd cards are not that awesome as fdds, and not that "Retro" of course :) 

Whandall

I have some 'real' 3,5" and 5,25" FDDs, even an original Apple II drive, which is less than a real FDD
(from the 8" series I only have some floppys), but no USB FDD.

The power requirements of these mechanical drives alone would stop me from using them.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. (D.Adams)

Go Up