Go Down

Topic: Low frequency sound waves , speaker + Arduino  (Read 639 times) previous topic - next topic

Shekkendo

hi there everyone!

Currently doing a university project,  I have a few questions below which have been bothering me, so if anyone with the knowledge can give me some advice would be appreciated.

1) is it possible to connect a 5inch woofer speaker driver (200w peak power, 4ohms) to an Arduino board? If it is possible, how would i get around doing it?

2) can Arduino be coded to play a sine wave frequency of 60hz ?

3) what type of battery can be connected to this speaker and Arduino to power it making it portable ? 

I dont mind if you can not answer all questions! anything will help :)

CrossRoads

1. Yes. Just put a 140 ohm resistor in series with the speaker so you don't blow the Arduino output pin.  You will get maybe 200mW of output.
Oh, did you want it loud? Then you need an amplifier.
2. Yes. 60 Hz has a period of 16.7mS. I would use an external DAC, and every 1.67mS (1670uS) send it a new value. Lowpass filter that and feed it into the amplifier.
3. Depends on how much power you want out of the amplifier/speaker and how long you want it to run.
Say you had a 12V battery. 12V/4ohm = 3A. 3A x 12V = 36W. Is that enough? A 6AH battery would run at least an hour, and give you some margin.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up