Go Down

Topic: How to answer a question - must read highly technical topic.  (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Vaclav

PAGE intentionally LEFT EMPTY

AWOL

aarg

Except for the rhetoric, I mostly agree. Some finer points:

- There is a reason why RTFM became an acronym. It's a valuable skill that sometimes needs a little push to get going.

- Read the question entire thread carefully.

- When English is your native language, you should not be upset if you're criticized for posting gibberish.

- Realize that some posters actually arrive with behavioural problems - expect a free ride, think we are mind readers, don't pay any attention to the replies, etc.
  ... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

PaulMurrayCbr

Insults, slap-downs and sarcasm aren't welcome. Let's work to help developers, not make them feel stupid.
Guilty as charged. Sometimes, anyway. You're right: no-one is forcing anyone to post on these forums, so if you can't say something nice, or at least useful, then there's no excuse for posting anything at all.
http://paulmurraycbr.github.io/ArduinoTheOOWay.html

weedpharma

As long as these points apply to the OP as well!

There have been many times where sensible replies have been abused by the OP.

Weedpharma

Vaclav

As long as these points apply to the OP as well!

There have been many times where sensible replies have been abused by the OP.

Weedpharma
And which of the many made you feel stupid?

AWOL

IMO, stupidity, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

It never ceases to amaze me that, with all the opportunities the WWW presents for learning, garnering knowledge and experience, some people appear happy to place on show, and also seemingly relish, not only their ignorance (which none of us can help), but also their frequently wilful (it seems to me) stupidity.

Yesterday presented at least three examples, each along the lines of "I have an item of hardware <x> running software <y> and it isn't working. Here is <y>/4 of the code, and no details whatsoever about<x>.  What is wrong?"

Nick Gammon went to great lengths to set out simply and clearly basic rules of how to get the best help in the shortest possible time, and posted these guidelines (I don't call them "rules", please note) clearly in bold at the top of just about section of the forum.

To ignore (or worse, argue against) this advice is at best disrespectful to its author and to other members, and at worst, yes, stupid.

In the immortal and incomprehensible words of Forrest Gump, " Stupid is, as stupid does"

AWOL

Ya dude, IT IS YOU FAULT BECAUSE YOU DID NOT FOLLOW THE RULES!

But WE , the gurus, want to know FOR EVERYBODY'S BENEFIT how did you fix it.
And post your answer if full code and in quotations.

Arrogant buffoons. Hypocrites.

IBTL
What is it they say, Vaclav?
"Point a finger, and there are three fingers pointing right back at you"

And remember - it's not arrogance if you actually are superior. ;). :D

Robin2

When answering a question please:

Read the question carefully
    Understand that English isn't everyone's first language so be lenient of bad spelling and grammar
    If a question is poorly phrased then either ask for clarification, or just ignore it.
Insults are not welcome
    If the question is inappropriate contact administrators.
I have frequently been a target of the OP's criticisms.

The above guidelines are how I normally try to behave - without needing guidelines to prompt me.

Inevitably I make mistakes and I am happy to apologize when I do so.

I do also take some trouble to write succinctly, unambiguously and with correct spelling and grammar. I try to re-read my posts after I have posted them and correct any errors.

If you look at the number of posts I have made and compare that to the number of Threads I have started to ask questions it should be obvious that I do most of my own research and I don't think it is unreasonable to expect everyone using the Forum (including complete beginners) to do the same.

Getting value out of the Forum is a two-way process. It requires the OP to do some preparation before posting a question and subsequently to interact with those giving advice. It seems that many people who start Threads take little trouble to absorb advice or relate it to their problem. That can be very frustrating.

I do not think the Forum is like a mortuary where every conversation must be conducted with great seriosuness and solemnity. Humour and joshing should be allowed and encouraged.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

weedpharma

if a post lacks clarity due to lazy writing style and it is difficult to read,it shows a lack of respect to other members.i will continue to comment to on this type of post.it will not be rude,but it will be brought to op attention that it is difficult to read.why should members have to read the post multiple times to workout what is required?i will also bring to the attention of those that need it,that code should be in code tags.if u find this to be rude,then bad luck.i would go on for another 20 lines without a paragraph break but most of you would probable given up by now.

Weedpharma

weedpharma

Did we say something to offend Vaclav? OP has been removed.

Weedpharma

AWOL

Feb 07, 2016, 09:42 am Last Edit: Feb 08, 2016, 01:58 pm by AWOL
I have no problem whatsoever with anyone expressing an opinion.

I have an enormous problem with members who post-redact their threads.

Enjoy your time out.

Robin2

i would go on for another 20 lines without a paragraph break but ....
Nice one  :)

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up