Go Down

Topic: error compiling - file permissions (Read 14494 times) previous topic - next topic

what-ever

i just got a new laptop and its a windows-7 64bit
and have downloaded the current IDE
and it will not finnish compiling.
I get this error report:

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-ar: unable to rename 'C:\Users\nels\AppData\Local\Temp\build1e13c2e60740dfbd8c48f2d818ed6778.tmp\core\core.a';
 reason: Permission denied

exit status 1
Error compiling.

I read that this might be fixed with an install as administrator, so I reinstalled the software as admin.

I read that this might be fixed if I run the IDE as administrator, so I did that.

but I still get the error.

Thank you very much (in advance) for any help and suggestions.

CrossRoads

I have Win7 Pro, I opened up the permissions on a bunch of folders to get around that.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

what-ever

Thank you,

I went to the specific folder in question and unchecked the "Read
Only" which is the windows version of permissions, I think.

and that did not work. I went back again and it was marked as "Read Only" again.

But I was encouraged by the fact that I think it sees the board at the end of the USB comport.

I am really hoping I can get this to work.

what-ever

I have also gone into the permissions for the executable and set file  permissions for my user to have control.  Still no luck to get the compiler to not return an error with not having permission  to write  the file in the temp  space.

what-ever

I have also gone into the permissions for the executable and set file  permissions for my user to have control.  Still no luck to get the compiler to not return an error with not having permission  to write  the file in the temp  space.

what-ever

I have uninstalled arduino 1.6.7 and installed 1.6.4 and the compiler still complains about not being able to write due to ownership. 1.6.4 does not see the daughter board on the USB port.
So now I am looking at changing the OS. Perhaps I will search the forum for Win-10 success as an OS for Arduino. I hate to ask for a subsitute Arduino  IDE  in this forum, wouldn't that be inappropriate?

codlink

Is the UAC still active?  I run windows 7 on all my comps and never had a problem with folders. Turn off all antivirus software and firewall.
//LiNK

what-ever

No the UAC was not enabled or active.

Itnmay not be folder permissions and I may never find out.

I took your advice to heart and did not  find a place to turn off the firewall.

But I did turn off two anti malware programs and that may have done the trick.

Inalso spent a LOT of time changing file permissions in my own temp folder which is where the compiler was pointing to and complaining about.

IT NOW WORKS ! Thank you all

now I just have to learn how to write code. My friends warn.me about disappearing down that rabbit hole. But I have two projects that need to be done and shared with the community . One is fault alarms on garden sprinklers that text me the alarm.

harshdobariya

Why the hell this software continuously giving this error?
I had arduino ide from months and not had even a single problems like this. All of sudden this error strikes. Now i have tried installed 1.6.5/6/9/10 but cant came above this problem. Oh god somebody help.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-ar: unable to rename 'core\core.a'; reason: Permission denied

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

Kalmans

What-ever,

THANK YOU!

Disabling temporarily the anti virus solved the problem!

Mark_Grass

From somewhere an antimalware program was installed on my computer...called bytefence.   I removed it and it fixed this problem.  I never installed it!   Some day the governments of the world are going to put severe punishments on these dirt bags and they will stop.

ballscrewbob

To those of you who have antimalware / antivirus issues or slow compiles for sketches.

There is usually an option in those programs to whitelist / exclude files and folders.

Slow compiles under Windows and may apply to other OS if you have similar software.

Add the Arduino directories to your antivirus / anti malware / other security exclusions.

So that would be at least two of the following.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Arduino15      depends on IDE
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15   depends on IDE

If you have your sketches set up in a different location it's also worth adding that directory to the exclusions also.

Additionally if you also use the online IDE "CREATE" the following directories.

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\ArduinoCreateAgent
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\.arduino-create

If you have installed to a different drive swap the drive letter as needed.
If you also have an unzipped IDE installed that path should also be added to exclusions

FIREWALL

Some third party firewalls also cause issues and again look to exclude the above folders from that.
The following should also be allowed through your firewall

"Java(TM) Platform SE binary"

Depending on how your network is set up you may have to allow Home/Work (Private) and also Public.

If you have CREATE installed ensure that is also allowed through the firewall
"arduino_create_bridge.exe"

Beware that not all "antimalware" software is actually what it says. There are rogue versions out there so ensure it is a "reputable" brand and not some obscure name.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

RandomRobots123

From somewhere an antimalware program was installed on my computer...called bytefence.   I removed it and it fixed this problem.  I never installed it!   Some day the governments of the world are going to put severe punishments on these dirt bags and they will stop.
same here!!! for some reason bytefence installed on my computer and i just had to remove it

KashishVerma

I also had the same problem, and I solved it just by updating my windows.

Go Up