Go Down

Topic: Looking for a source for micro potentiometers and micro gears (Read 868 times) previous topic - next topic

shawticus

Hello,

I've got this very small potentiometer (4mm on a side) that I pulled out of a servo. I haven't been able to find a source for these anywhere, in spite of many attempts at Googling. I might just be Googling the wrong things. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? I've attached a picture.

Second, I haven't been able to find micro-sized gears, like the kind you would find in one of these tiny servos. Is there a place where these can be bought, or does anyone have experience inexpensively manufacturing micro gears?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Best,

Shaw

MorganS

I think you've already found the source: cheap servos. If you were to try to buy the individual components in quantities less than 1000, the cost is likely to be prohibitive.

What is the problem you are trying to solve?
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

MarkT

It will probably be manufactured specifically for the servo - only pots that small normally are trimmers.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

shawticus

I was afraid of that.

We're trying to incorporate servo mechanics into a project but we want the potentiometer and motor to run I/O to our Arduino, basically just removing the internal servo controller. We don't always want the servo to function as a servo and we want to add some more complex behavior. Size and power consumption are big concerns, and instead of simply adjusting deadband we want to be able to run the motor when necessary.

Also, we don't really want to put an off-the-shelf servo at all-- ideally the motor, gear-train and potentiometer would be build into a larger mechanism that we're working on.

Robin2

Also, we don't really want to put an off-the-shelf servo at all-- ideally the motor, gear-train and potentiometer would be build into a larger mechanism that we're working on.
Take a servo to pieces and build it into another housing ?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

roe1352

I'm looking for the same. Tiny DC motors are dirt cheap on ebay but it can be almost impossible to find gears that fit those small shaft sizes. 

Robin2

be almost impossible to find gears that fit those small shaft sizes.  
For one motor I used my small lathe to drill out a piece of round brass bar to act as a sleeve to match the motor to the gear. I'm very new to lathes but by keeping the drill stationary and rotating the bar the hole was concentric.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

zoomkat

I was afraid of that.

We're trying to incorporate servo mechanics into a project but we want the potentiometer and motor to run I/O to our Arduino, basically just removing the internal servo controller. We don't always want the servo to function as a servo and we want to add some more complex behavior. Size and power consumption are big concerns, and instead of simply adjusting deadband we want to be able to run the motor when necessary.

You need to better explain what you are really trying to do. This is a collection of vague statements, like "we want the potentiometer and motor to run I/O to our Arduino".
Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

Go Up