How to: soil moisture measurement?

OK, I found a couple of problems in your code.

In the code I posted, int SoilMoisture() is a function, but you are trying to use it as a subroutine (i.e not using the returned value, but calling it for its 'side effects').

But that doesn't matter because you never invoke the subroutine anyway.

But even if you had called it, it still wouldn't work, because the CPU never gets to the side effect moisture=reading which you added to the very end of the routine, right after return reading.

Kinda looks like you're getting in a hurry ;D

Try this...

/* Soil Moisture measurement v0.1 20091017
Simple circuit
Not calibrated at this moment

Started by Mike Rice, October 14, 2009
Modified by M.A. de Pablo, October 17, 2009

Circuit:
To connect two nails and a 10 KOhms resistor as shown:

digital 2---*
|

/
\ R1
/
|
|
analog 0----*
|
|
*----> nail 1

----> nail 2
|
|
|
digital 3---

*/

#define moisture_input 0
#define divider_top 2
#define divider_bottom 3

int moisture; // analogical value obtained from the experiment

int SoilMoisture(){
int reading;
// set driver pins to outputs
pinMode(divider_top,OUTPUT);
pinMode(divider_bottom,OUTPUT);

// drive a current through the divider in one direction
digitalWrite(divider_top,LOW);
digitalWrite(divider_bottom,HIGH);

// wait a moment for capacitance effects to settle
delay(1000);

// take a reading
reading=analogRead(moisture_input);

// reverse the current
digitalWrite(divider_top,HIGH);
digitalWrite(divider_bottom,LOW);

// give as much time in 'reverse' as in 'forward'
delay(1000);

// stop the current
digitalWrite(divider_bottom,LOW);

return reading;
}

void setup () {
Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop (void) {
moisture=SoilMoisture(); // assign the result of SoilMoisture() to the global variable 'moisture'
Serial.print("Soil moisture: ");
Serial.print(moisture); // print the analogical measurement of the experiment
// later i will improve here a calculation for derive Soil Moisture in %
Serial.println();
delay(1000);
}

In addition to fixing the bugs, I corrected the polarity from my original post (my bad :-[). My original code came from an irrigation project, and 'reading' was to be a partial indication of how desirable it would be to add water (in combination with some other factors).

Grumpy Mike you are right about the electrolysis. This code basically generates a low frequency, low duty cycle AC excitation signal, and employs a synchronous demodulator to extract the data point.

Since it is AC, the harmful effects of both electrolysis and migration are reduced, and since it is a low duty cycle the effects of any residual DC offsets are further reduced, by an amount equal to the duty cycle. Also reduces power consumption, by the way.

In the original project the uC would suspend for an hour (unless interrupted), take readings and then go back to sleep. The old 6805 was not as quick as an Atmega 328, and the ADC080 was kinda slow too, but still the overall duty cycle was on the order of 1 part in 10 million.

Thanks Mike,

More than in a hurry, i am so new in this topic, so i was not sure how to call the subroutine....

I did´t (in really i still don´t) understand why you send a current in one way, take a measurement, and later allow a current in the opposite way... to reduce the electrolysis effect in the soil?.

Thanks for your kind the improvement. I will check as soon as possible.

And about your project, my idea is also to measure ones per hour. So i am thinking different possibilities, such as to use a DS1307 RTC, but i don´t know if this is the better option. What method do you use?

Cheers!

The idea behind the reversal of current (Alternating Current) here is to minimize both electro-migration and electrolysis.
Both can occur with AC as well as DC in some circumstances, though the effect is much less with AC.
By using AC and a low duty cycle we can minimize problems from these effects.

Electrolysis is the breakdown of a compound caused by an electric current. For example, passing current through water (chemical bond of Hydrogen with Oxygen) will break water molecules up into Hydrogen and Oxygen gasses.

Obviously, passing current through a moisture sensor would cause electrolysis.

This would not cause any permanent damage (unless the gasses were allowed to accumulate!), but the bubbles could affect the sensitivity and calibration of the sensor.

Electro-migration is basically the movement of atoms and molecules under the influence of an electric current.
Metal plating of objects is done with electro-migration, for example the bronzed baby shoes so popular with parents.
This could cause permanent damage to your sensor... your nice shiny gold plating could migrate away from the board to coat the gypsum particles.

That is why you want to use AC for any practical sensor of this sort. DC works fine for an experiment or a proof of concept... but if you want the product to last any length of time, use AC.

I originally used a RTC chip which is no longer available, a DS1307 would work nicely, they are widely available and inexpsnsive.

My original project used two fine platinum wires, wound around a plastic rod, and coated with Plaster of Paris and burlap as per the post I sent.

It was for a large lawn in a very upscale neighborhood on an island. When I say large, the grounds occupied about four acres. All the homes in the area had huge lawns, and large power bills.

Irrigation was only allowed at certain times of the day, on certain days of the week.

Back then these restrictions were because of the odor (sulfurous well water, Welcome to Florida!).

Nowdays there are water restrictions all over Florida because of water shortages, and a lot of commercial products are available to perform this function.

Great explanation, thanks!

Firstly i will learn more about arduino and electronic after to try to program the RTC...

Thanks so much for all the comments!!

UPDATE: I tried the circuit and the improved code. It runs, but it not provide the maximum value when i have the nails inside a glass of water.... the reading is 0 when nails are in the air without contact, and about 700 or so when i have them in water without contact... ??
I will check with different types of nails to see if this in an important factor.

What value resistor are you using? Use a higher value resistor to get a higher reading when wet.

a 10KOhms... i will try with other higher and lower to test how they runs for low, medium and high values of soil moisture.

Thanks for the idea!

Hi there,

I was focused on other project, so i didn´tpay so much attention to the soil moisture project.

Today i saw this other circuit on internet, also based on the simple ideas of use nails. I know that this is not the better sensor, but just for fun...

The text of this link is in spanish, but the circuit is clear. So my question now is if this new circuit is better than the simple connection of the nails with a pull up resistance that we were discussion previously.

I know that the reply could be "it depends".... but may be an expert on electronics could put some light here!

Thanks!

[edit]Here is the original circuit!
http://www.botanicalls.com/archived_kits/twitter/[/edit]

[edit]Here is a similar circuit, but it changes the 10k resistance for a 10k pot resistance...
http://www.faludi.com/2006/11/02/moisture-sensor-circuit/

I suppose than in this case it allow calibration of the probes...[/edit]

Still working on testing the circuits, i wired this one from the previous post:
http://www.faludi.com/images/blog/moisture_sensor_s1.html

I adjusted the 10K pot resistance to have 0 in analog pin 0 with this simple code:

const int sensorpin=0;

int moisture=0;

void setup (){
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println("Soil moisture circuit 3");
  Serial.println();
}

void loop (){
  moisture=analogRead(sensorpin);
  Serial.println(moisture);
  delay (1000);
}

So, such i said, i obtain 0 when both nails have not contact, and 880 when they are together. I also tried on a plant, and it give me around 300 or 500 depending of how much water. when i put the nails in water, the value changes to 700-770 or so, and quickly changes, what is clearly related to the electrochemical processes in the watter due to the voltage. So it seems that the circuit works.

However, i am worry about the 880 value, what means that the circuit give back about 4.6Volts when the nails are together. So, does it means that the circuit itself consumes about 0.4Volts? Or should i adjust the maximum value to 1023. I mean 880=1023 and 5Vols, and 0=0 and 0volts. (may be something like to use the map() function?)

On the other hand, since soils moisture returns about 770 when the nails are inside the water, should i better assume that 770 means 100% of humidity and 0 value is 0% of humidity? Then, it seems that the circuit is not so adequate for arduino since we lost about a half of the scale, form 1023 to just only 770....

I will appreciate your comments!

Can't find the link but how far apart do nails need to be? I'll going to make a probe to see the moisture in the garden is getting there.

Hi Chris,

Not so far. In order to have them at under constant distance, i used an old wall plug connector. So the terminals works such as the nails... They could not go so deep, but it could be used like an "standard".

Take a look to what i did here:
http://ardudrop.jottit.com

In any case, you decide the distance, because it require a calibration by the 10K pot and also by code... Select you distance, and calibrate it to 0% of water and 100% of water in the soil.

I hope it could be useful for you.

Cheers,

hi, I want to ask, which is better and more accurate between the simple circuit and Botanicalls twitter DIY? can somebody help me to make a decision.

Thank You

Hi Noor Raihan,

I can not say to you exactly which one is better...

In fact, somewhen during next weeks i will try to develop and test this other soil moisture sensor:
http://gardenbot.org/howTo/soilMoisture/

I will report differences with the other sensors that we discussed here...
Cheers,

Hi madepablo,

I really appreciate your effort to help me. Actually I don't have any experience to do this. I hope I can learn more from this forum. Thanks a lot.

If I don't want the part for the twitter message, what I've to do to the project so that the result will just appear on the arduino software? Can somebody teach me how to do it.
http://www.botanicalls.com/archived_kits/twitter/
This is the link I refer to.
Thank You.

Is anyone here had an experience in order to build Soil Moisture Sensor? If there any, can u share ur knowledge with me because I never do this kind of project before by using arduino. Actually my project is about to detect the soil moisture by using Vegetronix VG400 Soil Moisture Sensor probes. It will change the analog to digital value so that it can be easily determine the moisture. If the moisture too dry (RED LED blinking), if the moisture wet (GREEN LED blinking) and if the condition of the soil is not too dry and wet (YELLOW LED blinking). I also wanna make an alarm when the moisture too dry. Can somebody help me to figure it. Thank You

Is anyone here had an experience in order to build Soil Moisture Sensor?

Actually my project is about to detect the soil moisture by using Vegetronix VG400 Soil Moisture Sensor probes.

You want to make one or buy one? If you want to buy one, go ahead. You have our permission. Not our paypal number or credit card, though.

If the moisture too dry (RED LED blinking), if the moisture wet (GREEN LED blinking) and if the condition of the soil is not too dry and wet (YELLOW LED blinking).

Typically, red and yellow indicate problem conditions, and green means good.

I also wanna make an alarm when the moisture too dry.

I'd suggest a wave shield with some of these:
http://www.songarea.com/music-codes/dry.html

Can somebody help me to figure it.

What's left to figure out? Just the threshold between too wet/just right and between just right/too dry, and that will depend on the plant(s) you are monitoring.

Thanks for the reply. Actually what I means from the previous post is how to do the coding part. Is there any link which I can refer to?

Is there any link which I can refer to?

Sure. Arduino - Home

thanks a lot :slight_smile: