Go Down

Topic: Problems with Starter Kit (Read 2396 times) previous topic - next topic

blackbartohio

I could (and might well later) write pages on the poor quality of the manual on this UNO board I sadly purchased to teach a class.

- no manual or reference or posted link to download a pdf ( the store I purchased it from supplied me with the link) - - - the package appeared factory sealed without one.

- all items appeared to be included.

- THE UNO BOARD ONLY WORKS WHEN IT HAS 'RESTED' FOR 12 HOURS, , , THEN IT FAILS TO RESET 3 OF 4 TIMES, THEN AS TIME GOES BY MINUTES LATER FAILS 9 OF TEN AND SO FORTH UNTIL IT WON'T WORK AT ALL AND MUST BE PUT UP TIL THE NEXT DAY.

.  this includes changing to different USB cables, different computers, different operating systems (Windows).

.  this also includes disconnecting the UNO board from the USB cable or resetting it either 'on' or 'off'. 

.  I also tried writing a 'hard reset' routine to add to the examples and could not get it to compile - - - EVER.  EVEN WHEN I TRIED TO LOAD RESET ROUTINES FROM OTHER PROGRAMMERS.

.  you many 'try this' 'maybe might work' suggestions on unplugging wires and changing mouses and other maybe's don't make much difference either.

I have 11 years as a National Instruments data acquisition programming adviser and very familiar with C and C++ programming, is this what is normal with this board.  I need help.  I have a class waiting, I need something that REALLY WORKS (not just once in a great while). 

nickgammon

Where did you purchase it from, exactly? The boards ship without manuals, the documentation is on the web site. What do you have plugged into it? It certainly should not need to "rest" for 12 hours. I've never heard of such a thing. When answering forum posts I often upload many different sketches. Plus I have a Uno running 24/7 doing my home security system.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

nickgammon

THEN IT FAILS TO RESET 3 OF 4 TIMES  ...
Don't shout. What do you mean it fails to reset? It can't fail to reset. Resetting is a hardware thing. What makes you think it fails to reset?

nickgammon

nickgammon

From your other thread:

I also tried writing a 'hard reset' routine to add to the examples and could not get it to compile - - - EVER.  EVEN WHEN I TRIED TO LOAD RESET ROUTINES FROM OTHER PROGRAMMERS.
These couple of posts are coming across as a rant. You are shouting at us in all capitals in your only two posts you ever made. Where are the calm requests for assistance?

I also tried writing a 'hard reset' routine to add to the examples and could not get it to compile
What "hard reset" routine? Show the code.

could not get it to compile
What is the error message? Copy and paste.

this also includes disconnecting the UNO board from the USB cable or resetting it either 'on' or 'off'. 
How can you reset it "off"? I don't understand that. Are you pressing reset when it is powered down? The board resets when it powers up.

How to use this forum

Post your code. Post your schematic. Describe in detail what you are doing.

Where did you buy this board from?

Chewbakker

I could (and might well later) write pages on the poor quality of the manual on this UNO board I sadly purchased to teach a class.

- no manual or reference or posted link to download a pdf ( the store I purchased it from supplied me with the link) - - - the package appeared factory sealed without one.

- all items appeared to be included.

- THE UNO BOARD ONLY WORKS WHEN IT HAS 'RESTED' FOR 12 HOURS, , , THEN IT FAILS TO RESET 3 OF 4 TIMES, THEN AS TIME GOES BY MINUTES LATER FAILS 9 OF TEN AND SO FORTH UNTIL IT WON'T WORK AT ALL AND MUST BE PUT UP TIL THE NEXT DAY.

.  this includes changing to different USB cables, different computers, different operating systems (Windows).

.  this also includes disconnecting the UNO board from the USB cable or resetting it either 'on' or 'off'.  

.  I also tried writing a 'hard reset' routine to add to the examples and could not get it to compile - - - EVER.  EVEN WHEN I TRIED TO LOAD RESET ROUTINES FROM OTHER PROGRAMMERS.

.  you many 'try this' 'maybe might work' suggestions on unplugging wires and changing mouses and other maybe's don't make much difference either.

I have 11 years as a National Instruments data acquisition programming adviser and very familiar with C and C++ programming, is this what is normal with this board.  I need help.  I have a class waiting, I need something that REALLY WORKS (not just once in a great while).  

I paid good money for two different boards, neither of which work. When you search on the forum for answers to programs not uploading the suggestions are things like "try holding the reset down for a few seconds before uploading", "wait until a certain message appears during the compile process then connect the board". No real solution to problems, just things to try and see what happens. I have given up with these "toy" boards and will stick with PICs, compilers and dev kits from MicroElectronica. Much more professional and made for real world applications. You would be better off investing in this than wasting your time and effort on these boards. Certainly for your students, they will be seeing what they would see in Industry rather than in the classroom.

Chewy

Budvar10

Mar 18, 2016, 10:46 am Last Edit: Mar 18, 2016, 10:46 am by Budvar10
Hmm, many thanks Chewy for your effort with testing and for recommendation. I was lost all the time. :(
Arduino clone with ATmega1284P   http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=277260.0

nickgammon

When you search on the forum for answers to programs not uploading the suggestions are things like "try holding the reset down for a few seconds before uploading", "wait until a certain message appears during the compile process then connect the board". No real solution to problems, just things to try and see what happens.
Personally I never have to do that, and I upload dozens of different sets of code every day. The Uno works reliably. The boards with the Atmega32U4 processor (like the Micro) are a little fiddlier to upload to, but the process is still pretty simple.

I have given up with these "toy" boards and will stick with PICs, compilers and dev kits from MicroElectronica.
That is certainly your privilege to do so. You may find other, different, problems using those development systems, and no doubt you won't report them here, as that would be off-topic.

I warn you that PICs sell their compilers, rather than using open-source ones like the Arduino does. You can get a free compiler which has limitations (I forget what exactly, but I think they turn off compiler optimizations).

They may well suit your application, but the Arduino is designed to be cheap and easy to use, and has open-source compilers. And a community here that supports you if you have problems. Possibly excepting people who just make an account to rant about things.

Go Up